Impressions of the Shop Crawl 2008 - Southside

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodwrx

New User
Bryan
It was a great day for me. I have tremendous shop envy. I was meaning to ask George what line of business he was in. My guess is something that has to do w/ sponsorship or marketing of Steel City. I'm not sure if that was a functioning shop or a showroom. :rotflm:

It seems most unfortunate that I had to leave after Jimmy's, Dave was serving up adult beverages.

Being somewhat an newbie to woodworking, I learned a lot yesterday, have many new ideas. Thanks to those who opened their doors for us.

It was a great opportunity to meet you. -bryan

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Hey folks,

Sorry for the delayed reply to this thread. I haven't been around the internet until now. Just walked in the door back at the beach. I assure you that my fingers were itching to reply though. :icon_thum

It was truly a pleasure to meet a lot of you all yesterday at the crawl. :notworthy: Something you might not know is that I met Christy for the first time about twenty minutes before we got to Scott's place. We had been talking on the phone for the last few weeks and once I found out I was going to be in Raleigh for work yesterday, it all kind've came together. So it was a day full of meeting GREAT folks for the first time for me. As far as the crawl goes, I ran the idea by her a few days ago and invited her to go. She said that she would love to. :icon_scra The following night I said, "you know, if you just want to go because you know I'm interested in this kind've stuff, you really don't have to." She replied, "no, I really want to go, it sounds like a great time!" :icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra "Ok." :mrgreen: Long story short, the shop crawl was our first date and she really enjoyed it. :eusa_danc

After my catering gig we got back at about 12:30am and spent the rest of the night having a few beers, sitting out on the porch and talking, until the sun came up this morning. And a large part of that conversation was about you all. I told her about certain members that we met yesterday and more than anything, the great impact that you all have had on my life. We talked about how we are all different, but we're united, in this case, as a big family who all share a love for woodworking. But the biggest point and the thing that surprised me the most was how we all carried on as if we were right here, behind the computer screen, in our comfort zones. I have to say that I'm SO thankful to be a member of this community. Not only is is the best place on the internet, but it is also the best community I've ever known. :notworthy:

It really was great meeting you all yesterday. We wished we could've stayed longer, but we had to get something to eat and I had to get to work. Scott's sawmill demonstration was INSANE. We were both blown away by that. His farm is so beatiful and watching him cut that log up was one of the most interesting things I've ever seen. The two shops after that were very different, but equally impressive.

It was great to meet you all yesterday. Thanks so much to the hosts, especially to Scott for his knowledgeable demonstration and all of the sweat that took. A big thanks to Doug for organizing everything. It was great to meet you too. Bas, I was looking forward to meeting you for a long time. The way I described you to Christy was, "Bas is the other crazy guy on this site." :rotflm: Tracy, it was great to meet you too buddy. And finally, Dave, it was great to meet you and I've been looking forward to hanging out and pointing to a tree and asking you what it is. :rotflm: Thanks so much for referring me to this great community. :notworthy: There are many others that we met and had great conversations with and it was very nice to meet you all. Looking forward to the next one! :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

PeteQuad

New User
Peter
Wow Trent, it sounds like the day was extra special for you. :) Congrats on meeting such a nice girl :). Sorry I didn't get to talk to you much, but I'm sure we'll get another chance sometime - like you said this is a great community and I intend to be around for a long time. :thumbs_up

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Finally downloaded the pictures from my camera and uploaded them. Enjoy!

Pic_224.jpg

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
One more thing to add ... when we got to Scotts place, this was what welcomed us at the road ... we all thought it was VERY COOL!

Pic_171.jpg

Held up by this ...
Pic_172.jpg

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Talk about a directions. Doug, I don't think you need to put together packets anymore. Just get Scott to mark the way!

That's just cool! (I can hear Tim "The Tool Man" Tailor grunting now)

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Man I am really sad I missed this one. Looks like everyone had a good time. I might hit Scott, Jimmy and Dave up for personal tours some time when I am not glued to my computer.

Trent, gratz on the gf gloat!

To the rest of you I haven't met yet, maybe next time!

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Man I am really sad I missed this one. Looks like everyone had a good time. I might hit Scott, Jimmy and Dave up for personal tours some time when I am not glued to my computer.

Trent, gratz on the gf gloat!

To the rest of you I haven't met yet, maybe next time!

Thanks so much Will and Pete. :notworthy: I guess I've come to the conclusion that if you take a girl out for your first date to a shop crawl and she enjoys it, she's a keeper. :icon_scra:rotflm: Well, this one is a keeper for more reasons than I can tell you all about. :icon_thum

Sorry you missed it Will. Glad you're back on the site though and I'm sure we'll meet up eventually. :eek:ccasion1

Trent

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Will, I'll be glad to give you the tour anytime - just let me know.

Trent - I think that you've found a keeper!

Jeremy - great pix!

Scott

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Will, I'll be glad to give you the tour anytime - just let me know.

Trent - I think that you've found a keeper!

Jeremy - great pix!

Scott

Scott,

We were about to introduce ourselves and DaveO grabbed you and you all went to talk about something. That was one heck of a demonstration you did. Thanks so much! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap She was wondering if the train in front of your farm is stationary or if we can get a ride on it sometime? :dontknow:

Thanks again, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors