Impact driver or Driver drill...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
So I'm in the market for a new Lithium Ion drill. I've been scoping out the new Bosch and Hitatchi Impact drivers and they look amazing. The reviews especially for the Hitachi is off the charts. I already have the Bosch 10.8V LI driver and a decent Ryobi 18V ni-cad drill. The Ryobi still works fine I just 'need' an upgrade. :gar-Bi. Should i go with an impact driver that is amazing for driving but somewhat limited for drilling and just use the Ryobi for that task or should I get a LI driver drill that doesn't drive as well but can drill better than my old Ryobi? I can't do both right now since I'm still saving for the bandsaw upgrade. Seems driving is 80% of what I do, really only drill countersinks for driving screws. I have heard the impact drivers can actually do a serviceable job drilling with the right bits. Hope that wasn't too confusing. What would you do! Thanks!

M

McRabbet

Peter, I make a 14.4 V Makita drill driver and it is a marvelous tool for driving screws into decking and for some drilling operations -- using spade bits with the same hex quick release as the Phillips driver bits. I have a decent set of Irwin spade bits and it just churns through wood in a hearbeat. It also works well on masonary bits (again, you must get the hex ended ones that are designed for these chucks). HTH YMMV

jerrye

New User
Jerry
Given your guidelines, impact driver. I have the Ryobi 18v, and it is BY FAR my most used tool. Rob is right; get the 1/4" hex shank bits & don't look back!

TBone

Tommy
Senior User
If only buying one, definitely go with the impact driver, you'll never drive a screw with a drill again. Personal preferance was the Makita 14.4 drill and driver combo. Best of both worlds. Haven't found a screw it couldn't drive without so much as a blink.

T

toolferone

I have 3 impact drivers and they are the cats meow! I use them more then anything. The L/ion is the way to go if you can. The weight savings is really amazing!

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
So I'm in the market for a new Lithium Ion drill. I've been scoping out the new Bosch and Hitatchi Impact drivers and they look amazing. The reviews especially for the Hitachi is off the charts. I already have the Bosch 10.8V LI driver and a decent Ryobi 18V ni-cad drill. The Ryobi still works fine I just 'need' an upgrade. :gar-Bi. Should i go with an impact driver that is amazing for driving but somewhat limited for drilling and just use the Ryobi for that task or should I get a LI driver drill that doesn't drive as well but can drill better than my old Ryobi? I can't do both right now since I'm still saving for the bandsaw upgrade. Seems driving is 80% of what I do, really only drill countersinks for driving screws. I have heard the impact drivers can actually do a serviceable job drilling with the right bits. Hope that wasn't too confusing. What would you do! Thanks!

I upgraded my Ryobi by buying a Ryobi lithium battery which works extremely well. It added almost twice the battery life and was reasonably priced. I have a Delta, Dewalt, Porter Cable and Ryobi drill and I always reach for the Ryobi first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS