Ignore User

Status
Not open for further replies.

patlaw

Mike
Corporate Member
The Ignore User function doesn't seem to work very well on this board. When an ignored user posts, there is still a place holder showing the post, which almost defeats the purpose. Is there a setting to really ignore a user and not just fold up his posts?

ehpoole

Ethan
Ignore hides only the content of posts, not the existence of a post, by an ignored user, so you will indeed see a brief informational message notifying you that there is blocked content missing from the thread you are viewing if you choose to ignore a member. This is normal for vBulletin sites, the only configuration choice available as an admin is whether or not the "ignore user" functionality is enabled or disabled, there are no other settings associated with the feature. It is not meant to be, nor implemented as, a total invisibility cloak.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ethan's explanation is very good and he has the most knowledge of the underlying software of any of us.

It should also be noted that (Ethan correct me if I'm wrong here) if an ignored user's post is quoted in a future post you are going to see that as well.

There is no total invisibility cloak as Ethan previously stated. If a particular member is posting intimidating posts or personal attacks, please report those to moderators via the triangle shaped "report post" at the bottom of each post. The moderators will evaluate on a case by case basis the correct action to take if our posting rules have been violated.

If it is just a personal preference not to listen to somebody, who is otherwise following the rules, then there are limited options here. We err on the side of an open discussion, barring political or contentious or personal attacks.

Feel free to use the "report post" function if you think something is over the line. That will initiate a discussion of the problem in the moderators forum that is private to the the moderators, admins and Board of Directors. Primarily the moderators will decide a course of action and inform the affected parties of their decision.

ehpoole

Ethan
It should also be noted that (Ethan correct me if I'm wrong here) if an ignored user's post is quoted in a future post you are going to see that as well.

Quoted replies will remain visible as I am not aware of any efforts by vBulletin to apply filtering to quoted text based upon an embedded username (when such is defined in a quote as it is not mandatory) in the "quote" BBcode.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
There used to be a guy on here called patlaw - anyone heard from him lately?

Maybe the Fountain of Youth isn't a fountain at all. Maybe it's a way of looking at things. A way of thinking.

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
My wife tells me I was born with this function.

I understand it is aggravating - not sure why...:rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS