If you're bored on Saturday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Thanks Ironman Scott!!!

I too had a fantastic time yesterday, hangin' out at your fine shop/warehouse.:wsmile::wsmile:

It was great to meet yet more NCWWK'rs, enjoy a great lunch and get a chance to actually assemble some of that fine new equipment of yours.

I was particularly intrigued by that great 'ol Mattison straight line ripper!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up I hope to one day have a chance to see it in action tearing through some oak.

Thanks again and if you need more help in the future, just hollar. I'm just up the road a wee bit.

Wayne

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Many thanks to everybody that showed up! I had met several folks beforehand, but it was great to meet some of the newcomers too!

My only regret is that we did not have more time to visit individually; however I know that everybody came over to lust on the equipment as opposed to being awed by my conversational talents.... :rotflm:

Here is the entire crew, and let me warn you - when these guys get a hold of a crowbar and hammer you don't want to get in their way!

IMG_3211v2.jpg

NCWoodworkers meet at the farm to uncrate the new QSO equipment. In the photo are Brian (Brian Geib), Wayne (Canuck), Scott (Scsmith42), Benito (contractor), Scott (ScottM), Trent (Trent Mason), Matt (Matt Schnurbusch), and Matt (Splint Eastwood).​

IMG_3210v2.jpg

One, two threee, HEAVE!​

IMG_3213v2.jpg

I think that Wayne is trying to figure out how to convince the LOHL that he needs one of these in his shop...​

IMG_3217v2.jpg

Man, these guys know how to make a mess!​

IMG_3220v2.jpg

The "current" layout - shaper, planer/jointer (small one), bandsaw, moulder, workbench, tablesaw, sanders, and Oneida Super Dust Gorilla. The sander and Oneida will move; a long bench will go across the wall that they are adjacent to with a Festool Kapex inset in the bench in front of the window, and a large drill press placed where the Oneida is.​

IMG_3222v2.jpg

Slightly different view of the same equipment as above.​

IMG_3223v2.jpg

The Mattison straight line rip and Grizzly Horizontal resaw. Wayne - as per our conversation I reversed these two after everybody left, and gained 3 more feet of floorspace for the front part of the shop.​

Electrical_panels.jpg

"Got Juice"???!!!!​

Ever wonder what 1,600 amps worth of electrical load centers look like? Fortunately I'll only be using a fraction of that at one time, but it took this much panel capacity to have enough room for all of the different voltages and breakers.​

All in all a very good day. Thanks everybody for coming out, I really enjoyed our time together.​

Scott​

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Sweet pics. nicely coming along Scott.

Cant wait to see more!

It nice was nice meeting you and I enjoyed watching you gracefully guiding the heavy pneumatics around. I know my back was greatful as well!:gar-Bi

Matt
Splint

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Scott,

How are you planning to run power to everything? Vertical drops?

That will greatly inhibit the board swing idea I was talking with you about.

M

McRabbet

Scott,

That is some serious iron you're setting up! I looked over the pictures and was amazed to see that you even bought out the local Bojangles to feed those monsters! Looks like you guys got a ton (or five) done in one day! And that old Mattison Ripsaw looks like it needs to be close the that electrical panel in order to keep the power losses to a minimum -- about a 15 HP direct drive, right? That is going to be an awesome shop...:eek:ccasion1

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Jeff, re the resaw you should see it up close! Everything hydraulic, including the blade tensioning system. My only wish was that it had a larger capacity (it's 16"); would love to be able to resaw up to 20" boards.

While I was at the IWC show looking over this model, the Grizzly rep responsible for it told me that the President of Grizzly has a larger one that was custom manufactured for him. I enquired about purchasing it, but the word came back "thanks, but I'm keeping mine!"

Matt, yes vertical drops are going to provide power and dust extraction to the equipment. I debated about an in-floor infrastructure, but in the end decided that the versatility of ceiling mount would allow me to arrange / rearrange, and upgrade the shop as opportunities arose, which floor feed would not allow (a crawl space is not a viable option due to the weight of the equipment and bulk wood). This is one of the reasons why several pieces of equipment are arranged in "workstations"; it will allow me to group the electric and dust collection for multiple machines and thus reduce the overall number of drops.

I think that it will work out ok.

Rob - yup, it's a 15hp direct drive; I even have a soft copy of the original manual! It was in service as a glue-line rip when I purchased it, so with a little bit of elbow grease she ought to be as good as new. I even have a ceiling mounted laser to go with it.

Say, that gives me an idea.... Hey Heath, are you looking for a new "old iron restoration project", on a slighly larger scale??? I'm just up the road from Sanford :gar-La;.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
:swoon::notworthy: Wow! That is some shop, Scott. It's nice there are so many willing helpers here on NCWWer too.
When is the week-long shop crawl at the Smith farm???:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS