If you're bored on Saturday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
AND since it's supposed to be a rainy day... and if you happen to live in the RDU area, and feel like uncrating some new tools (see this thread: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/f31/trek-begins-20077-post207911/)

Or, if you just have this tremendous urge to destroy shipping crates and remove cosmoline...

feel free to stop by the farm!

The shop isn't completed yet, but I'm at the stage where I need to start placing equipment in order to determine where to hang dust collection and electrical in the ceiling. Today I'll place the straight line rip saw and the 4 head moulder, and ???

I'll be working in the shop all day Saturday, feel free to send me a PM today if you'd like to come out.

Thanks!

Scott

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Scott,

I'll be in the RDU area on Saturday and my back is feeling good. :icon_thum Also, I love destroying stuff. :kamahlitu :rotflm:I might only have 3 hours or so in the afternoon, but I'd be happy to help.

Trent

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I'd love to be there, but MikeL and I have a dovetail cutting class at Bill Andersons all day:dontknow:.

Good Luck.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
I hope i am bored because I,ll be at work :cry_smile. other wise I could prolly come down and lend a hand

This work thing really puts a damper on weekend activities.

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Count me in. Just checked with SWMBO and we don't have anything going on. I have to go out to the shop for a couple hours in the morning to work on my brothers table base, but after that I am free as a bird.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Dang... I wanted to be there for the unveiling of the green machines. I'll be circumnavigating the state on Saturday chasing after wood (Cypress in Albemarle and Cherry burl in Newton. If I get back in time... I'd love to help out. :icon_thum

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Matt and Trent, thanks much for the offers of assistance! Trent, no need to worry about your back, we have lots of hydraulic backsavers!

I'll PM y'all my number and the directions.

Pete, I'm not sure yet about Sunday; if I'll be in the shop I'll post an update to this string and send you a PM with directions.

For everybody else, I am SURE that we will not get everything unpacked tomorrow... so with "one exception" I'll be posting a future date as well!

Thanks.

Scott

PS: The "Exception" is if Dozer shows up to help. I wouldn't need anybody else then (nor my hydraulics...) :rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'd love to come help, but I have all these ladyfriends from Grizzly I need to visit with this weekend. Only so many hours in the day....

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Today I'll place the straight line rip saw and the 4 head moulder, and ???
You can put Trent on rust scrubbing duty. He's been dying to get some exercise, with him having a desk job and all.

Sorry, I meant bucket job. :gar-La;

I can't wait to see that straight line rip saw in action. I expect to feel the ground vibrate over here when you turn that beast on. :tool:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
I'd love to come help, but I have all these ladyfriends from Grizzly I need to visit with this weekend. Only so many hours in the day....

Harumph.....

Poor you...., it must re rough to be "The Bas"....

:rotflm: :rotflm: :rotflm:

No big deal... after you get done with all that "visiting", you'd probably be worthless as shop help anyway! :rolf:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Wow - what a great day! I'll post more details (and pix) shortly, but suffice to say that we made great progress today.

If anybody is interested in coming out tomorrow (Sunday), I'll be back at it and would welcome the help! Still have the tablesaw to assemble, and the small jointer/planer to unload from the shipping pallet and place, etc..

The week after next I'll bring in the Big Oliver jointer/planer, the 37" wide belt sander, and the main dust collection system, as well as all of the Festool goodies. At that time, all of the equipment will be in place and the focus will shift to drywalling, equipment electrical and dust collection, the compressed air infrastructure, more painting, building the big doors, cabinet and workbench construction, etc, etc.

And especially the radiant heating!

Wow, it's starting to get exciting!

Scott

More details to come later tonight; right now I need to run back over to the shop and wrap everything up for the evening.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Wow - what a great day! I'll post more details (and pix) shortly, but suffice to say that we made great progress today.

If anybody is interested in coming out tomorrow (Sunday), I'll be back at it and would welcome the help! Still have the tablesaw to assemble, and the small jointer/planer to unload from the shipping pallet and place, etc..

The week after next I'll bring in the Big Oliver jointer/planer, the 37" wide belt sander, and the main dust collection system, as well as all of the Festool goodies. At that time, all of the equipment will be in place and the focus will shift to drywalling, equipment electrical and dust collection, the compressed air infrastructure, more painting, building the big doors, cabinet and workbench construction, etc, etc.

And especially the radiant heating!

Wow, it's starting to get exciting!

Scott

More details to come later tonight; right now I need to run back over to the shop and wrap everything up for the evening.

Scott I'm really happy for you, can't wait to see some wide ole QS Oak start to roll into your shop. Must guys choose an easy species to get started (like pine) but the way you got your kiln tweaked, it's a oak drying machine.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Here is proof that progress was made today at Scott's. Photo's by Splint Eastwood.

Scott_and_one_of_his_toys.jpg

Look_at_this_monster.jpg

Big_Big_Iron.jpg

Uncrating.jpg

Scott, Wayne and Brian

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Scott,

I'm glad I could stop by and lend a hand today. It was great to meet you and everyone else. I've never shown up somewhere and just gone to work putting machines together on a large scale like that. It sure was a unique experience and a great way to spend time with great folks. I doubt I'll be able to make it tomorrow as that is the only full day Christy and I have together this week; but I hope more progress is made. It was great meeting all of you fellas today and working together. Can't wait to see that shop up and running because it will be nothing short of spectacular! :icon_thum

Cheers, :eek:ccasion1

Trent

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Ditto to what Trent said. I was nice to meet some new wwing friends.

I was invited to come along by Scott and Im glad I did. The new shop is and will be awesome and Im glad to have had an opportunity to make a small contribution to such a large endeavor!

These are some serious "Big Boy Toys" !

The only thing missing was PBS cameras filming a version of Extreme Woodworking Tools! :gar-La;.

Some nice stuff:icon_thum:icon_thum

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Scott,

Thanks for the invite. Yesterday was my first foray out into the world meeting folks that I've only chatted with online. It really was a great day. I'm a pretty quiet guy around people that I don't know, but everyone there made me feel welcome.

I will definitely want to come back out once you are up and running. That is a seriously impressive shop.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors