If you had to replace your wireless router today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yeah, I am supposed to be a computer geek, but I don't always keep up on this and I actually have some serious monetary concerns about going with latest and greatest due to the number of things on the network that might get outmoded. Anyway...

I have a Belkin Wireless G+ that just bit the dust. Fortunately, I have a travel router (the condo we usually rent at the slope has a DSL with just one wired connection) so I hooked it up. I am reminded why we got a G+ because the b router doesn't reach everywhere. But we have a mix of b and g devices in the house; about 6 computers (wife is a home based CPA), wireless printer, Wii and some Nintendo DS handhelds.

What would you get?

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
Andy-

I like SMC products and just recently replaced my old (SMC) router with another. All of my networking gear is SMC (wireless router and 4 switches). The SMC website is here: http://www.smc.com/. The best price I found for the wireless N router I wanted was at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...29184&cm_re=smc_router-_-33-129-184-_-Product

The router is located in my wiring closet in the basement (I know, not an ideal location) and I get a good signal and good coverage 2 floors up at the farthest point away in my house. I only have 802.11g devices so I only get 54Mbps at that range.

Last edited:

RayH

New User
Ray
I have great luck with D-Link hardware. Currently using a DIR-655 router. It has 10/100/1000 wired and .11b/g and draft n wireless. Range, speed, and reliability have been good throughout the house and yard. Current price runs between $93 (Walmart, Newegg) and $99 (Bestbuy).

Good Luck,
Ray

CarvedTones

Andy
That looks reasonable. The one thing I worry about is whether or not their really is anything to the + in the G+ I bought. I did get one G+ card, which works fine with b or plain g but supposedly gave me a little better than G with a Belkin G+ router. But the router died and I also had a different Belkin card (not the G+) die on me, so Belkin isn't on my A list; that's why I am looking for the opinions of others. I may have to give the SMC a try. Is it stocked locally anywhere? One of the homework computers is out of range right now, so I either need to move it or get a better router pronto.

sash plane

New User
steve
:rotflm:

This is just too funny..... I was just going to say..... the D-link... etc...is junk.....
I was going to tell you get a Syslink.... there part of Cisco....
we had problems with D-link..... I believe it blew up also....cant member.....not sure about SMC
One reason I like the Syslink... then have TNC connectors antenna that you can put a ext ant if you want more range. A 6db Onmi external antenna covered all of our bldg and part way into next.
Just remember to set encryption... so neighbor’s don’t steal your bandwidth..... he he he

I guess get what ever you feel like you like...... it all boils down to that.... Are you happy.. not us
It’s like telling a Chevy man a Ford is better, then the dodge man jumps in and tells you no.....
on and on and on...

Mt. Gomer

New User
Travis
IMHO: D-Link, Netgear, Linksys (cisco), SMC are all about the same. I've used all with little difficulty. For most people G (without all the bells and whistles) is just fine for everyone. The new N standard is also pretty slick (faster) but the real advantage seems to be better coverage. Remember, for most users who use wireles mostly for internet usage (litle pc to pc traffic) the real bottleneck is going to be your internet connection. Even with broadband it's throughput is less than even wireles B netoworking.

All that being said, if you want to buy new, need it right away, and want minimal compatibility issues I say look around and find the best deal on one of the above brands in G or better. On the other hand I've got a D-Link G router that has some life left in it sitting here gathering dust. You're welcome to come get it if you're so inclined. You might be more inclined when you read my other post.

Travis

fergy

New User
Fergy
I had a lot of issues until I switched to a Buffalo router, and flashed it to Tomato software. It's been rock-solid for almost two years now, without ever needing a reboot. And the software is much more user-friendly.

The linksys ones I used had to be rebooted weekly.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've had a Linksys N for about a year. Not affected by wireless phones. Easy setup. Long range. 3 PCs; one wired, 2 wireless and an internet phone (wired). Download speeds exceed 1mb, phone is clear.

Vetteman9956

New User
Brad
I have a Netgear N gigabit router running 2 wired and 4 wireless pc's and an xbox 360. If you use the n wireless card it's much faster but even with the g cards, its much faster than my old g router because of all of the traffic in our house. Found it very stable.

CarvedTones

Andy
:rotflm:

This is just too funny..... I was just going to say..... the D-link... etc...is junk.....
I was going to tell you get a Syslink.... there part of Cisco....
we had problems with D-link..... I believe it blew up also....cant member.....not sure about SMC
One reason I like the Syslink... then have TNC connectors antenna that you can put a ext ant if you want more range. A 6db Onmi external antenna covered all of our bldg and part way into next.
Just remember to set encryption... so neighbor’s don’t steal your bandwidth..... he he he

I guess get what ever you feel like you like...... it all boils down to that.... Are you happy.. not us
It’s like telling a Chevy man a Ford is better, then the dodge man jumps in and tells you no.....
on and on and on...

Yeah, I know. I am back and forth about whether to call it bad luck and just go get another Belkin because it did work with everything and had the coverage. CP&L and I are probably at fault also; it was not on a really good surge protector. It was on one that would prevent a fire, probably...

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Belkin N+ 2 pc,s, laptop, Wii, netflix streaming movies. On Time Warner cable and it runs rock solid and is FAST :gar-Bi

Glennbear

Glenn
I have a Linksys-G and I get a good signal anywhere on my 2 acres. This is the second one I have owned and I have been pleased with both.:icon_thum The first one I fried when I was rebooting the internet satellite modem and I switched power supply jacks accidently :eusa_doh::embaresse

lottathought

New User
Michael
Asking what router to buy is a lot like asking Chevy or Ford.

There are those that swear by the new Linksys and others that say they have gone downhill in quality.
Some say that the newer D-Links are awesome and others say they die in a year.
And then there are both sides that argue for and against ASUS routers.

Here are my suggestions...
Consider a router that can do DD-WRT. (If you do not know that this is..look it up. You will like it.)
Think about what you think you may be doing with a router a year from now.
Are you going to have a laptop connect to the internet or are you heavier into networking?

You might want to think about N for wireless...but understand that if your wireless devices do not have the ability to pick up N, then many argue that the G is significantly reduced as opposed to a straight wireless G router.

I would suggest your router have Gig ethernet ports on the LAN and at least 100MB on the WAN.

You will probably want to consider a print server built in.

And buy like you plan to upgrade in a couple of years. Do not spend a ton and just look for some decent reviews in whatever you get.
The names I would consider exclusively..
Linksys, D-Link, ASUS..

fergy

New User
Fergy
Actually.. even though I did not mention Buffalo, this is a pretty nice little router and does support DD WRT..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

That's why I got it, and then I discovered Tomato. WAY easier to deal with than DD WRT, IMO. And less likely to turn it into a brick with a bad flash. At least that's what I read when researching.

Either of them are going to be better than the firmware that comes in these things...Tomato is so lean, and I've only had to tweak it once or twice, mainly when I upgraded Kaspersky to the full internet security package. I'll have to tweak it again in a couple of weeks as I've got some internet devices in the house that I need to get to with my phone, so we'll see how easy it is then. :)

Oh, I like that one you posted even better, since you can use it as a simple NAS...

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I currently have a NetGear WGR624v7 (54Mbps wireless), with a Vigor2700 Ge/e ADSL2/2+ ready when needed.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Andy,
I happen to have an SMC wireless G router sitting around collecting dust Andy. You can have it IF I can find it... looking.
Salem

eyekode

New User
Salem
Andy,
I happen to have an SMC wireless G router sitting around collecting dust Andy. You can have it IF I can find it... looking.
Salem

I found my router. My father in law is using it! Sorry Andy, I thought for sure it was in my closet...
Salem

Dragon

New User
David
Well, I've been out of the area for the weekend and seeing this I thought about our experiences. Every year, a group I'm affiliated with goes to King's Mtn. Park for a weekend getaway. Up until the time Verizon bought out Alltel, I had been an Altel customer. Never had any issues with getting signal anywhere I went. Now, I'm on Verizon and we also use their wireless internet with both the desktop PC and the laptop.

Took all our gear along with us just to see "if" we could get online. Yeah Buddy!!:eusa_danc Not only did we have cell service but the wireless router, (Verizon calls it a MiFi), worked flawlessly. Even the couple who were staying in our cabin with us were able to log into our router via their hi tech electronic gadgets that also can be used as phones. Imagine that? I told our store rep here that we'd be making this trip and "if" their techie stuff worked there, they'd have a happy customer.

Don't know what setup you're using but I'd highly recommend what we're using to anyone asking.

CarvedTones

Andy
After getting all the varying advice, we decided to got to a local electronic store with some ratings in hand (though consensus seems to be there is not as muuch difference in brands as much as models) and get something that claims to have great coverage, bring it home and try it. My wife is taking it on; I will post back within a few days as a follow up in case someone else digs this up. Though again, it seems like all the vendors will sell you good ones and bad ones...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS