If it's made out of...

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Plastic, it's going to break!

I call this a rule, some may simply call it a saying, but for me, it's always true. This rant is about my DeWalt DW618 Router. The nifty push button spindle lock consists of a plastic button with a small finger (stub, protrusion...), a stainless shaft, and a spring.

I released the lock after changing a bit, and the button flew across the room. The little plastic finger sheared off!

I really like this router, but this is obviously a poor design and a miss use of plastic. Maybe I can figure out a repair that will provide more than 3 years service! Maybe I'm spoiled; I didn't have to replace any parts on my old Craftsman router for 30+ years :confused_

Rant over!

-Don

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Welcome to the SAD but modern world. We are now a throw away society and most people accept it. I for one do not. Very few of today's tools are designed to last like the ones we bought 10 years ago or more. Frankly many companies don't care. After all how can companies make money when you buy one every 30 years?

KC7CN

New User
Don
Follow up

I found the replacement button on-line and called the local DeWalt Service Center to see if they stocked that item. Not in stock, but they will include the item in their weekly parts order to save the shipping charges. I ordered two buttons, enough for six more years service :eusa_pray. Not to bad for $1.25 each.

-Don

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: Follow up

Yeah, that's pretty good. My switch on my previous B&D table saw decided one day to quit working (scary when you can't turn the saw off!). Replacement switch was delivered to a DeWalt/ PC/ B&D service center the next day. $4. I probably could have claimed it under warranty, but for that kind of money, I'll pass on the paperwork.

Of course, normally when a piece of plastic breaks, it also shoots the spring across the workshop underneath the bench......

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Plastic!!! Our DW735 planer became very hard to adjust week before last. Opened her up to find a chunk broken out of the dust collector hood and sawdust and chips everywhere! &*^%$$###:BangHead::BangHead:

Ordered a new part, got it quickly. Problem solved, right? Nah! Seems the fan shroud has a gap in it also and I still haven't figured out how to get the dang thing off. :confused_ Looks like motor and all have to come out.
:wconfused:

Plastic is great in some cases, but not neccessarily in power tools!!

:thumbs_do

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have had a lot of trouble with DeWalt switches. Between 2 drills, 1 router, and 1 miter saw, I have spent almost $200 on switch repairs. Conversely, I have had no switch issues on any of my PC, Bosch, or for that matter Craftsman tools.

J

jeff...

Plastic sux - IMHO plastic has no place in machines, sadly machinery companies don't share my view...

KC7CN

New User
Don
Plastic sux - IMHO plastic has no place in machines, sadly machinery companies don't share my view...

I hear what you're saying, but I still think most of the problem is miss use of the material. Poor design! Or should I say designed to break?:BangHead:

Remember the old black dial telephones. I don't know if Bakelite is considered a plastic, but I don't think you could break one of those old phones unless you ran over it with a truck. :mrgreen:

This might be a good time to start a list of miss used materials.
1) Plastic
2) Particleboard
3) MDF

KC7CN

New User
Don
Somebody's out to get me!

I need to add another tool made out of plastic to the list. My Harbor Freight Digital Dial Caliper. The plastic battery cover falls off. It stays on most of the time, but I've had to go hunting two or three times since I bought it a year ago.

As I was putting my tools away today, I noticed the battery and the cover was gone -- nowhere in sight! I looked for the them for about five minutes and gave up; figured I would find them when I cleaned up the shop at the end of the day. No such luck! :wmad:

I suspect both the battery and the cover will turn up eventually, and I will do it all over again.:tinysmile_cry_t:
This is another case of poor design! Guess you get what you pay for:gar-Cr.

-Don

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: Somebody's out to get me!

Don, I have to disagree. It's not a poor design, it's poor packaging! It should come with a roll of duct tape :)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I recently had a similar problem with a Wixey Dial Caliper!!!:BangHead::BangHead:

I removed the battery from a new caliper and the plastic "grip" holding the "DEAD" battery snapped. Couldn't get the new battery installed!!!:BangHead::BangHead: I took it back to Woodcraft (Raleigh) and they replaced the whole caliper .... no questions asked!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up GREAT BUNCH of guys over here!!

(Now..........I wonder why they ship Wixey calipers with dead batteries????!!!!:BangHead::BangHead:)

Oh well!!!!! It is a nice caliper, though!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap And I received a fresh caliper and battery!

Wayne

(I think I read a post by Junquecol (Bruce) that listed a good source for the batteries - Dollar General!)

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I recently had a similar problem with a Wixey Dial Caliper!!!:BangHead::BangHead:

I removed the battery from a new caliper and the plastic "grip" holding the "DEAD" battery snapped. Couldn't get the new battery installed!!!:BangHead::BangHead: I took it back to Woodcraft (Raleigh) and they replaced the whole caliper .... no questions asked!!!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up GREAT BUNCH of guys over here!!

(Now..........I wonder why they ship Wixey calipers with dead batteries????!!!!:BangHead::BangHead:)

Oh well!!!!! It is a nice caliper, though!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap And I received a fresh caliper and battery!

Wayne

(I think I read a post by Junquecol (Bruce) that listed a good source for the batteries - Dollar General!)

I have two wixey products and both came equipped with dead batteries.

KC7CN

New User
Don
Re: If it's made out of plastic... UPDATE

I cleaned the shop last night. No sign of the missing battery or battery cover.

Dead battery's in a new product! Coincidence! I'm beginning to wonder.

I bought my HF caliper a year ago at the Harbor Freight store in Orlando. All the calipers had two battery's. The clerk told me the one in the caliper might be bad; said that's was the norm. He was right, the display was blinking due to low battery. Makes you wonder if they all come from the same place.

Last, but not least, picked up the replacement buttons for the router this morning. Two for less than $3 including tax. What a deal. Cost me more in time and gas to go pick them up at the local service center.

-Don

KC7CN

New User
Don
I'm Embarressed to tell you

:embaresse Embarrassed The battery and battery cover are still installed in the caliper. The real problem is a missing plastic cover located near the top of the caliper. Not sure why it's there, but underneath the cover is a small green printed circuit board, with gold connector strips. All the same, the cover is missing.:evil:

As Bas said, what was really missing is the duct tape.:icon_thum

47257.gif

-Don

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Re: I'm Embarressed to tell you

The real problem is a missing plastic cover located near the top of the caliper. Not sure why it's there, but underneath the cover is a small green printed circuit board, with gold connector strips.
Aha, that's to hook it up to the Operator Adjustment Calibration Accessory. Basically, this accessory will adjust the measurement based on whether you typically cut your material too short or too long.

:tinysmile_tongue_t:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Re: I'm Embarressed to tell you

It also doubles as a board flattener and a board stretcher!

Don, I have done similar things several times. Key is not to admit it.:wink_smil

KC7CN

New User
Don
I did discover one interesting tidbit with this post. The pop-up for this :embaresse is spelled ''Embaresst'' (Wrong), and the pop-up for this one is :embarrassed:spelled ''Embarrassed'' (Right). I wonder if we should tell Steve about this.

-Don

M

McRabbet

Mini Gloat

Don,

I see you bught the HF 6 inch digital caliper -- I bought one for my sister to give to her son for Christmas just last week for $9.99 on sale and picked up the 6 inch Digital Fractional version :tool:for myself at $24.99 less 15% with their single item coupon. It has digital inches to .005, fractional inches to 1/64th and mm to .01, which I think is plenty accurate for any woodworking measurements I'll do.

One interesting thing I noted on mine -- there is a small plastic slide on top of the battery case that reveal a small connector underneath. Apparently, this is an output port (nothing in the "manual", but the third item on the psrts list is an "output port"). Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator:

KC7CN

New User
Don
Re: Mini Gloat

Don,

I see you bught the HF 6 inch digital caliper -- I bought one for my sister to give to her son for Christmas just last week for $9.99 on sale and picked up the 6 inch Digital Fractional version :tool:for myself at $24.99 less 15% with their single item coupon. It has digital inches to .005, fractional inches to 1/64th and mm to .01, which I think is plenty accurate for any woodworking measurements I'll do.

One interesting thing I noted on mine -- there is a small plastic slide on top of the battery case that reveal a small connector underneath. Apparently, this is an output port (nothing in the "manual", but the third item on the psrts list is an "output port"). Hmm...

You're going to enjoy the new caliper! 1/64" resolution is more than enough for woodworking. I have ProjectCalc calculator, from Calculated Industries, with fractional functions. This is the yellow calculator you see at Wal*Mart for less than $20. Problem is the resolution is only 1/16", then it rounds up from there. Not good enough for me!

The low cost HF calculator works good, but the battery cover does tend to come off. Bas's suggestion of duct tape is more than a joke with this regard. Batteries don't last very long either. Having said all that, it works good in all other regards, especially for the low price of $9.99 .

-Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS