"IF" I was to buy a small lathe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
I have never wanted to get involved in turning until I started hanging around you guys!
After yesterday attending the Hardwood Store 20th Anniversary, I had the chance to hang out around the members that do the deomostrations for those interested in woodworking. My interest has been peaking somewhat.
I would like to start looking into a purchase of a level entry lathe, or one that is not going to cause me to take a mortgage on my house!
Can you give me a little insight as to what to look for in a lathe and maybe what not to look for?
Any accessories that might be good or needed would also be good to know. I am on the quest to find the Dewalt DW788 type 1 scroll saw. That will be a challenge in itself, but am still looking. I figured while looking for that I could learn about the lathe and start doing research on what is what and what may or may not be needed or good purchases to be had.
I think this would also be good for anyone else that may have same questions about getting into turning!
Frank.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
At one of our first big picnics we awarded our Founder, Steve Coles, with a lathe. After a short period he decided to buy a bigger lathe and gave the first one back to the group. We started a program to share the lathe and along the way other items were added to it. Now it is a complete wood turning shop to be loaned/borrowed by the members.

It just changed hands or will very soon and there is one in line after that, but if you are not in a hurry...

You are welcome to get on the list for the next handoff in about six months or so.

Raymond

Raymond
Staff member
Corporate Member
Well, Frank, as other have said - "tis a slippery slope you venture onto; mind, you don't fall into the vortex that it will become!" :wsmile: I would follow the advice given, sign up for the goodwill lathe and take it from there.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Frank the Good Will Lathe is a Rikon midi lathe that was purchased by some of the early members of this site as a gift for our founding member Steve Coles. In turn, Steve in his great generosity gave the lathe back to the site so that members can use of it to try out and see if they like turning.

It includes turning tools, accessories and has gone trough many different members, a lot of whom have purchased their own and have produced some excellent turnings. It has been past around quite a bit and each member that wants gets it's use for around 8 to 10 weeks. It is a great way for you to decide what you like or do not like about turning before making a sizable investment.

I was one of the recipients, but have not purchased any thing and here is the link to some photos from when I had it. I do not know how much has been added, but I do know that several accessories have been added to the package since I used it.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?cat=1874

Here is a link to the latest thread I have seen on the Good Will Lathe.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
If there is going to be some kind of class for the lathe, I would also be interested in that as well. It was unfortunate that I could not partisipate in the scroll saw class due to my shoulder but I was just not comfortable running machines yet. I think I am about ready to get back into it as I am running the saws and drills back at my place with no trouble at all.
If the loaner does become available, I would love to give it a try, but i do not want to put anyone else behind me!

Rick M

New User
Rick
I've owned 5-1/2 lathes and 2-1/2 of them are Deltas (the half because I own a headstock of a 930). I'm sure Jet and PM lathes are great too but I've never owned them. I did own a Comet II that I bought from NCWW and it was a good lathe for what I paid and I'm glad to have helped the club but I wouldn't recommend it. There are lots of Chinese made lathes out there but I can't comment on them. Also owned a vintage Craftsman lathe it was was fun but less good than any of the Deltas I've owned. The best lathe I've owned yet is the Delta Midi that I just bought. They run $588 on Amazon right now. Second best is the 46-111, and 2nd only because it didn't come with variable speed from the factory but it's a helluva lathe. The 930 might even be better but I only own the headstock which I might turn into a bowl lathe someday but probably won't.

FYI, I just posted my Delta 46-111 for sale in classifieds, not cheap because I put a lot of work into restoring it, but it's a darn good lathe.

I have never regretted buying a quality tool or machine but I have regretted not buying one sooner. Same goes for a lathe. So to make a recommendation, buy a Delta or Jet midi lathe. They will do anything except make table legs or canes (although you can make them in 2 pieces) and both will hold value really well if you decide to sell and upgrade later. If you buy new they will come with centers and a faceplate; with those you can do a lot of turning. Later you might want a scroll chuck but you don't have to buy it in the beginning. You'll need a few turning tools, at minimum a spindle gouge, skew, scraper, and parting tool. You'll eventually want some bowl gouges. Don't worry about what all the terms mean, you'll figure it out quick.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Frank you can also come to Hickory and help us out at the Exstravaganza. We can get you on a lathe for a bit and let you spin something.....wet yer taste buds a little

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
My wife just bought me a Rikon 70-100 for our anniversary last month. It's my first lathe, and I am really enjoying it. I had been scouring craigslist but never could find one that I quite liked that also wouldn't break the bank. If you time it right, you can get the Rikon on sale for well under 400. Not terribly cheap, but it's new and it's worth it to get a lathe that's true day one. I've heard too many bad stories of craigslist lathes where the centers don't line up or have numerous other problems.

Since getting mine, I've really gotten into pen turning. The others here aren't lying when they say it's very addicting!

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Frank you can also come to Hickory and help us out at the Exstravaganza. We can get you on a lathe for a bit and let you spin something.....wet yer taste buds a little
I will be at Hickory Dirk on Saturday with the wife. We will spend a couple hours there I am guessing before she gets tired of hanging around and wants to hit some stores. I still have that uncertainty if I want to get deeper into my woodworking. Already trying to master the dovetail jig and still on the search for that scroll saw. The lathe is really starting to get me though. I like what you can do with the lathe, and often wonder if it is something I can get along with. I will try when I get to Hickory if there is an opening.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Bryan, buying the lathe is not the end of it. Consider the tooling, chucks, adapters, face shields and on and on. You can do a lot with a lathe if you have the right accessories. If you really enjoy turning the expense does not hurt as bad, LOL. Just be aware. I had a craftsman lathe I bought in the 70's and wore it out. It took me about 3 years to decide which way I wanted to go to replace it. I finally decided the Powermatic 3520 and I do not regret it. It is a pleasure to use and I don't think I will ever wear it out. Good luck with the decision.

Jerry

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I will be at Hickory Dirk on Saturday with the wife. We will spend a couple hours there I am guessing before she gets tired of hanging around and wants to hit some stores. I still have that uncertainty if I want to get deeper into my woodworking. Already trying to master the dovetail jig and still on the search for that scroll saw. The lathe is really starting to get me though. I like what you can do with the lathe, and often wonder if it is something I can get along with. I will try when I get to Hickory if there is an opening.

Frank, we will make time...
That is what this group is all about "Learning and teaching"

Looking forward to meeting you as well!

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
As far as small lathes go, I would look seriously at the Rikon small lathes as well as the Turncrafter that Penn States Industries sells. The Rikons will be on display and on sale at the Extravaganza. You can also try the Turncrafter that we own there. As far as features go, Variable speed is a must have for me and reverse is very nice for sanding and finishing. Then you look at swing over the ways (typically 10-12" in this class of lathes) and length if you're thinking about turning spindles. Some of the MIDI's have extensions available to extend the length - a nice feature if you need it.

In addition to a lathe you'll need a chuck (they don't come with one) A Nova G3 or the EWT one are good choices. You'll also need some turning tools. The Easy Wood Tools carbide tools are the easiest to learn with. You can get the full sized tools or get a starter set of smaller size tools such as the one Rockler Sells.

This is a nice set of mid-size carbide tools:

http://www.rockler.com/carbide-mini-turning-tool-3-piece-set

This is all based on recent experience and a bit of personal preference thrown in. The Delta MIDI recently on sale at Amazon was a very good deal, but is no longer on sale. The best thing to do is come to the Extravaganza and look around. There will be a bunch of turning groups there demoing various techniques and machines and accessories. There will also be manufacturing reps from Rikon, Jet, Powermatic, Nova and EWT and a lot will be on sale.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Thanks Ken. I guess I need to wait till I get there to give it a try. I may not even want to get into it once I try, but keeping an open mind to it right now.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Ergonomics

... I could not participate ... due to my shoulder but I was just not comfortable running machines yet.

Frank
I want to apply a small bit of caution here, related to your mentioned shoulder issues; this is simply a note from my experience, not necessarily generalized.

I have neck (and now related shoulder) issues. Since working at the lathe is fun and addicting, and since I was never very fast at the process, I would find myself hunched over the work far too long. That is not a good thing for me to do. While there is plenty of arm, shoulder, and body movement in typical lathe work, it was far too easy for me to be 'hunched over' and have my head tilted forward for too long while concentrating on the turning. For normal people that is not much of a problem; for me that becomes an issue.

My intention is simply to remind you that Ergonomics is important.

Because lathe work can involve extended periods of work, ergonomics is especially important. Lathe height and related body position are important factors. I don't know if your shoulder issue is one you are recovering from (I think I recall reading that) or a ongoing issue (like my neck is for me). If your shoulder is 'simply' recovery, then ergonomics is important; if your shoulder remains as an ongoing issue, then ergonomics will in part determine whether you enjoy the lathe in the long term.
I know I love working at the lathe, although I don't do this too often lately. I continue to do lathe work knowing that I need to both pay attention to body position and take frequent breaks.

Enjoy the journey into the spinny side.

Henry

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
Re: Ergonomics

I agree with what Ken has said. I tried the goodwill lathe to make sure I was going to like it and not too long after using it I knew that I had drank the Kool-aid and was headed down a slippery slope. Buying the lathe is just a portion of what you need to start turning. I have a 12" Turncrafter VS lathe now and after having a variable speed lathe I never would want to have to go back to not have the ability to control speed.

Frank Berry

New User
Frank
Re: Ergonomics

I agree with what Ken has said. I tried the goodwill lathe to make sure I was going to like it and not too long after using it I knew that I had drank the Kool-aid and was headed down a slippery slope. Buying the lathe is just a portion of what you need to start turning. I have a 12" Turncrafter VS lathe now and after having a variable speed lathe I never would want to have to go back to not have the ability to control speed.
This is exactly why I like to ask questions before I get into something. I have before decided on something and soon after my purchase found that if only I had looked a little more or spent just a little more I could have been so much better off and finally sold out and had to repurchase with even more money after bad and losing on the original purchase and then just got mad at myself for being impatient or just ignorant about it and gave up altogether. I would rather bother someone with questions or maybe look a little stupid by admitting I do not know enough and be able to learn before I get into the pool too deep that I can't get out without some consequence.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
My wife and I have been turning for thirteen years. Started on a yard sale $10 Dremel lathe, we have seven lathes including a PM 3520B. If you can't afford a variable speed then save your $ until you can. Once in the VORTEX you will spend as much on accessories as on your lathe! I have not used my table saw in at least five years. Before you buy a lathe, join a turning club. There are at least seven in NC. Find a mentor. Use as many lathes as possible before you buy. Some will not fit your body or style. Many of the wood supplies have inexpensive classes. Learn to turn pens. Club dues will save you money. You might want to determine your favorite projects before buying a lathe. The following is controversial: You will use only half of the tools in the average turning set. A skew, a bowl gouge, a parting tool, and a round scraper is all that is needed to survive a small bank account. Others are nice as your skills and projects expand. Buy the best that you can afford. At least M2 steel from US or Sheffield, England. Chinese steel will cost you, you will spend more time grinding than turning. ​Early on take a sharpening class. How often do you sharpen a bench chisel? An 8" diameter blank spinning at 2000 rpm presents 50,240 inches of wood per minute against your chisels edge. A sharp edge is Paramount! In hi-speed steel, one part per thousand difference in the alloy can make a difference in edge life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS