Identify These PEST PLEASE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
the links below will only open for me when using IE for some reason.

They are on a tree between mine and the neighbors property. Since the neighbor isan older person that is real nice and these need to GO. There are several trees they have not killed yet but they are busy.

What is this? It is in a cedar tree of some type, this tree is in good shape compared to the second picture.

They are eating it looks like.

Here they are covered the ground under the previous tree.

Now what are they? In the above picture where the ground is covered, that tree was green last week with no damage at all. One of the reasons I am asking is because I have some pecan trees on the opposite side of the property where he dumps his grass clippings which might contain these pest as well.

Ozzie-x

New User
Randy
The pictures don't work, maybe it's me? Anyway, those trees are probably hemlocks, and the bug is called the woolly adelgid. These are another gift to us from China. These pests will kill the trees if you do not treat them. The chemical pesticide used to kill them is called "Admire", not sure if you have to have a chemical license to buy it or not. To treat the trees, you can either do soil injection so the Admire is sucked up by the roots and up into the tree, or you can spray the whole tree which is difficult with larger trees.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
See if the links work some now? Still trying to figure this image link thing out.

Thanks, appears like I will have to tell him to call for help since these are some larger trees.

Dudelive

New User
Dude
These sack looking things contain a black worm that will suspend down to the ground by a small thin web like a spider uses where they are all wiggling around. The sack is about the size of my thumb and covered in the hemlock or cedar leaves.

Oh I looked up the woolly adelgid and it don't look like that at all.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Bag worms Orthene(x) is a very effective insecticide, but it stinks to high Heaven. Hand picking is your best method of control unless you have an infestation to the extent as you do.

Dave:)

Dudelive

New User
Dude
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Thanks DaveO that is exactly what they are. Will the trees comeback out next year or is the one that looks totally brown gone. There is some green left, although not much? Just wondering if after spraying and all are dead can the trees be fed to help return again or are they gone:gar-Cr:gar-Cr ?

Thanks

DaveO

New User
DaveO
:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Thanks DaveO that is exactly what they are. Will the trees comeback out next year or is the one that looks totally brown gone. There is some green left, although not much? Just wondering if after spraying and all are dead can the trees be fed to help return again or are they gone:gar-Cr:gar-Cr ?

Thanks

Probably not based on the damage you've shown.
Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors