I wanta make some boxes....

Status
Not open for further replies.

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Any suggestions on a good book(cd) to get me started out with the fundamentals of box making? Would like a book with the fundamentals of box making and some ideals. Different joinery, styles, lids, etc, etc....Thought I would make a few before getting back onto my second workbench. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Only thing I can say, being off on a cut by 1/64" an inch is a big gap in box making. Although I have made a few boxes, I can say with confidence my equipment and the operator (me) are not up to that kind of tolerances yet. One day I'll make more but not anytime in the near future.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
My favorite book is "Making Heirloom Boxes" by Peter Lloyd.

It gives good ideas about design and structure although it won't give you all the specific details needed it does cover a majority of how to layout and construct one.

woodnick

New User
Nick
"Box-Making Basics" is the one I started with, It does give you all basics. This is my favorite box to build
box3.JPG

View image in gallery

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Wayne, any book by Doug Stowe is excellent. I personally have found a lot of inspiration from his "Creating Beautiful Boxes with Inlay Techniques"

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Only thing I can say, being off on a cut by 1/64" an inch is a big gap in box making. Although I have made a few boxes, I can say with confidence my equipment and the operator (me) are not up to that kind of tolerances yet. One day I'll make more but not anytime in the near future.

Well said, Mr. Mills. I'm in the same skill set! A 64th! I'm lucky to get within an 1/8th!! LOL!
:wsmile:

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Well said, Mr. Mills. I'm in the same skill set! A 64th! I'm lucky to get within an 1/8th!! LOL!
:wsmile:

Yep me to it's eighths and sixteenths for me, anything thing other than that is a blur... But for some reason my vision gets even worse when I'm running the sawmill, then all I see is quarter inches and inches :gar-La;.

smitty62

New User
Dick
One helpful hint I found by accident ( and I've since seen it in print) is to complete the box 1/8" taller than desired finished dimensions, set your table saw fence to the proper width and carefully saw the lid off. Fits every time! ----I didn't explain this well, but you'll figure it out.:rotflm::dontknow:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Wayne, any book by Doug Stowe is excellent. I personally have found a lot of inspiration from his "Creating Beautiful Boxes with Inlay Techniques"

Dave:)

Thanks Dave,

I have seen your Boxes and love them. I just bought the Basic Box Making DVD from Amazon.

Can't wait to check it out~! :eusa_danc

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Lots of great suggestions on books...I really appreciate that! Now, to choose!
Always love seeing the boxes posted here. I can really appreciate the joinery, style, choice of woods, contrast, etc.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Lots of great suggestions on books...I really appreciate that! Now, to choose!
Always love seeing the boxes posted here. I can really appreciate the joinery, style, choice of woods, contrast, etc.

Remember the 1/64th an inch and don't say I didn't tell you so either :gar-La;

redhawknc1

New User
Wayne
Jeff, I learned that with my 1st box...I really thought the hinges were aligned properly. But I can see they aren't when I open the lid. Tolerances are very tight on smaller objects...:gar-Bi
box_bk.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors