I surived furniture boot camp!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I just returned from the Summer institute field school at Museum of Early Southern Dec Arts (MESDA). The topic was Ethnicity and regionalism in the back country south (i.e. not the sc low country and not the southern Chesapeake area) Piedmont NC, SC, Ga, Tn Ky, Valley of Va, Md, & part of Pn.
For a furniture geek I didn''t know that it was possible foe me to furnitured out, but after three weeks of lectures on mostly German and some Scot/Irish furniture, pottery I was furnitured out.
It was really amazing to have complete access to the collection. To be left alone with a dresser that cost as much as a car.
Gloves what white gloves just open the darn drawer, pull it out and look at the writing on the back side of it. I got to take all of the drawers out of a bureau and photograph the daylights out of the thing. It was a blast.
It would be great to take a group tour of the museum. They have break out rooms where a tour group can focus on particular items like tables.
It was pretty wild we learned of a group of cabinetmakers here in the piedmont are that people collect and they pay a pretty penny for. Like a figure that would buy a new Mercedes Benz. I never expected to find that kind of stuff comingg out of Randolph and Chatham counties. I learned a lot.
We also took a week long trip through the valley of Va. Stopped at the frontier museum and several florkuchen (sp) houses. I never knew that we had such a strong German background here in the south. And I'm from here.
We stopped at Montecello, Belle Grove Plantation, and Montpillier (sp?). Two places that we visited that are near by were Preswould Plantation and Berry Hill Plantation. Both are fairly close to south Boston. Berry Hill was just a huge plantation house. Preswould wasn't small it had gorgeous furniture, late 17th century through early to mid 19th century stuff. It also has a fair number of outbuilding still standing including some of its slave quarters.
Oh well I need to get to bed and get ready for this little shindig that is happening Sunday.

Catch you later.

Jerome

Oh yeah there was a matter of a ten page paper. The final draft is due in a few days. Hmmm
Did I also say that they kept us so busy that we didn't have time to sleep for the last two and a half weeks.

I feel the need for a vacation coming

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Sounds like a great trip . . .

. . . but where are the pictures???? :wink_smil

pete

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I'll put some up this afternoon, but I have to be careful some of my pic were of items in private collections and restricted access pieces.
I have to remember the yes's and the no's

I also have to note that they only let us touch artifacts (furniture, pottery, froctures) after two hours of demos an then us doing run throughs with so expendable objects.

It still felt like I was going behind the velvet curtains.

Jerome

Sounds like a great trip . . .

. . . but where are the pictures???? :wink_smil

pete

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Wow, sounds like a wonderful experience!

If you have a ton of pics to upload, let me know, we can do a bulk upload as opposed to one at a time.

What things do you think will influence the work you do? Any surprise styles or construction techniques you hope to incorporate?

Jim

Jerome B

New User
Jerome
I thought that I was open minded about how refined the people in the back country were and what they had available to them especially in terms of furnishings. I found out that my mind was just as closed as a steel trap. Folks were using euopean pattern books and were often preceding the styles of the James river area and the Coastal section of the south.

I saw a great deal of furniture and architecture that was German, Swiss, non British. Even the Irish stuff varied from the items being produced by folks who were coming from London. These were first generation immigrants. Their stuff was pretty cool. I now find myself not looking at British furniture as being so much the gold standard. either by style or construction.

Seeing so many pieces that have a vernacular language to them I found myself asking why not! Why should my chair look just like something out of a pattern book? Why can't it express heritage? And along with that when I see antiques that break the British mold by more carving than usual or sulfur inlay (cool stuff) or a more rococo feel to them is there anything wrong with that piece. I think not!

Okay Jerome climes down off the soap box now and goes back to tacking off the excess wax on the blanket chest.

If you tell me how to do a batch upload I'll give it a try. I might not get each image labeled though.

Jerome

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I remembered you talking about that, but didn't realize that you would be off line the whole time.

Good to see you back and look forward to hearing all about it.

Sounds like something I might like to do someday.

I'll see if my family will come to the showing Sunday.

Kdub

New User
Kurt
That sounds really awesome. I visited MESDA back at the first of the year and that's a nice collection. I can only imagine what you saw in the other places. Can't wait to see the pics.
Kurt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS