I Present the Humble.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
GFCI outlet. not just any GFCI, but the highly esteemed 20A GFCI. Over the past week or so, I've wired two 20A GFCI circuits in my basement workshop. Monday evening, I wired both circuits into the breaker panel.

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

One circuit has 3 outlets, the other has two. Both circuits have an outlet on the garage side of the basement, for easy access from outside. I still roll the jointer & planer, plus the DC outside, to save some mess and noise from disturbing other occupants (you know, my wife, her name is spelled B-o-s-s).

I saved myself a cool $200 doing it myself.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Sweet!

Congratulations!

It's so nice to be able to run the bigger machines without the familiar circuit tripping!

I did this same thing earlier in year and was the best investment !

:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice Tom, looks like a first-rate installation job. :icon_thum :icon_thum

And to hijack this thread: Plastic or metal outlet boxes? Any major pros/ cons for either one in a basement workshop?

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Since they are wired in EMT conduit & steel boxes I am assuming you were advised to bond the conduit & box to the ground wire. Looks like you're set up. :icon_thum

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Metal boxes. I think the metal are required by code (but don't assume I am correct). The existing circuits in the basement use metal boxes (the house was built in 1998).

Sparky? There you go again, Tracy, thinking I am as dumb as I look. :eusa_naug

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Metal boxes. I think the metal are required by code (but don't assume I am correct). The existing circuits in the basement use metal boxes (the house was built in 1998).

Sparky? There you go again, Tracy, thinking I am as dumb as I look. :eusa_naug
:rotflm::rotflm::rotflm::rotflm:, I knew you would get a JOLT out of that:gar-La;:gar-La;

BobcatBob

New User
Bob
IMG_0111.jpg

I'm not sure how this is going to work out when the "B-o-s-s" notices the outlets are different colors. :BangHead:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Bob, I will bluff, telling her the different colors are required by code for the 20A circuit.

Dennis, I didn't check for a pigtail in the 15A basement circuit. The EMT is just down the wall for both 15A & 20A outlets. The NMB is stapled to the floor joists back to the breaker panel.

gator

George
Corporate Member
OK, I've got a question which will probably end up making me look like a dunce.

What does this accomplish? It is mentioned about not tripping a breaker. If these are wired through to a 15A breaker at the box, won't the 15A break before the load reaches 20A? And the fact that they are GFCI only helps if water is involved, or am I wrong?

Please 'splain so I understand the concept.

George

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
George, the GFCI is designed to sense a sudden surge in current, like when a TV is thrown in a pool. It will trip well before a 15A or 20A breaker trips. This protects folks from being electrocuted. As mere 1A is enough to kill you or I, so the 15A or 20A breaker will not trip while someone is testing their natural resistance to current flow.

GFCI outlets, or breakers are required by code in basements, and on outdoor outlets.

gator

George
Corporate Member
LT -

I guess I read more into the post than I should have. I knew that they are code for basements and bathrooms and kitchens (anything around water, but I took the tone of the post to mean something additional to the standard breakers in general circuit protection. And then SE's post reinforced my assumption. That's why I questioned any additional circuit protection (other than water) that they may add.

George

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
George, the GFCI is designed to sense a sudden surge in current, like when a TV is thrown in a pool. It will trip well before a 15A or 20A breaker trips. This protects folks from being electrocuted. As mere 1A is enough to kill you or I, so the 15A or 20A breaker will not trip while someone is testing their natural resistance to current flow.

GFCI outlets, or breakers are required by code in basements, and on outdoor outlets.

Actually, they don't sense current "surges" they measure minute amounts (a few milliamps) of current imbalance between the hot and neutral (e.g. will detect if some of the return current is going through your body instead of through the neutral). A good ground is also needed for it to work. They do not provide any overload protection and in fact do not even prevent shocks, just bad (deadly) shocks.

Did you daisy-chain the GFCIs? You only need a GFCI in the first outlet, the other down-stream outlets can be standard receptacles.

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Yeah, I daisy-chained, the first outlet on each circuit is GFCI.

I am a firm believer in good ground. I've seen too many good people drive themselves nuts fixing an electronic gizmo, only to find it was a flaky ground. Everything from garage door opener to stereo equipment, to computers. :wconfused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors