I hear ya knockin' *Yup, more door pics*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Well I got a lot done on the door over- I finished the back side muntin grid. This grid is removable so I can remove the glass. The grid holds the glass in place and the grid is held in place with 4 SS oval head screws counter sunk slightly into the inside edge of the grid and screwed into the stiles. The back side grid came out better that the front grid- guess I'm learning something. I also installed the glass.

I mortised the door and jamb for hinges at the same time- I stood the door on edge and clamped it to the side of my assembly table, then clamped a spacer and the jamb to the door. That made marking, freehand routing, and finish chiseling of the hinge mortises relatively easy.

I installed the jamb, then hung the door. Did I say this door is heavy!!!! I installed the door lever and mortised the striker. I'm just about ready to put on some finish. I want to do a little more tweaking of the jamb (adjust for a slightly out of plumb wall) and once that is done, install the stop and casing, and finish the door. I also still need to come up with some sort of threshold and seal for the bottom.

Removable grid retaining screw
door-10.JPG

Door from the shop side
door-11.JPG

Door open
door-12.JPG

Looking up from the stairwell
door-13.JPG

Now that I know what I'm doing (sort of) - the office door, window, and bathroom door should go much quicker.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
unless I forget by then- the wall bench and cabinets are next. Still got plenty of oak left.

No WW this weekend- I'm off to Wilmington tomorrow and Sunday.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
Great looking door!

with that access to the shop, I can see why the crane was such a necessity!8-O

cpowell

New User
Chuck
Alan that door's looking great. I imagine it's a good workout moving that big, solid door around. Hurts my back thinking about it.

Chuck

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I like your choice of knob hardware. I chose a similar set for a few doors in my house. Very easy to open when you have your hands full and can't grasp the knob.
Dave:)

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
Alan in Little Washington said:
I also still need to come up with some sort of threshold and seal for the bottom.

Alan--------Oak threshold between the jambs and a rubber sweep attached to the bottom face of the door worked great for me in a similar situation. Lot's of choices out there though.

You have done a really good looking job on that door:icon_thum

Jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS