I could love this plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Last night I finally had some time to play with my new toy - the Veritas Low-Angle Jack Plane. My wife graced me with this, as well as all the optional blades. I've had a pretty good experience with my block and rabbet planes (old Stanleys) and my Veritas Scraping Plane. By my one and only bench plane, a Record #4, has rarely produced satisfactory results for me - generally resulting in a lot of tearout, chatter or both. My early experiences with it turned me off of hand planes for a long time.

I started with the 38 degree blade which, combined with the 12 degree bed yields a 50 degree angle - similar to my #4. The instructions with the plane / blades said it is sharp and ready for use right out of the box. While the back did seem thoroughly flattened, the bevel edge looked like it could use some work. So I took it to task on my Worksharp, starting at 80 grit and working my way up to 4000 at a 35 degree angle. Then I micro-beveled the edge using the micro-bevel feature on the Worksharp's wide-blade honing jig, which claims to add a 1 degree micro-bevel - close enough to the original 38 degrees, I hoped :>

Then I installed the blade. The plane has set-screws on either side of the blade to fix it in place and prevent any side-to-side movement, while still allowing the lateral adjustment - very handy. After adjusting those, I lowered the blade until it contacted the wood that the plane was sitting on and then adjusted the lateral adjustment as best I could. Then I used the mouth-adjustment stop screw to close up the mouth without any chance of it hitting the blade - something I've had difficulty with on other planes. Every adjustable-mouth plane should have this feature! With that done, I took a few passes, lowering the blade each time until I was making light curly shavings - pic is below. The test wood is a glue-up of red oak - in a variety of grain orientations. I've had lots of tear-out with red oak but no such problems this time! Dunno how much of that is the plane and how much is improvement in my sharpening / setup skills. I doubt the latter, but for completeness I suppose I should give my #4 another go.

Years ago, I could never have imagined spending this much $$$ on a plane, but I figured this one is like getting 3 planes in one...at least, that was my rationalization :> Next I'll need to sharpen the other blades and have a go at some oak end-grain and curly maple. If the results are as good, I foresee more Veritas planes in my future.
:gar-Bi

JackPlaneShavings.jpg

pboro

New User
Bob
I think that I know just what you are talking about- I have a Veritas smoother, jack, & jointer- the smoother has a York pitch, the jack has a good camber, & the jointer's blade is slightly cambered. All have worked real nice for years- like you say, a pleasure to use!

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Merrill77:

I bought the LA Jack with all the blades last spring. If you have as good an experience as I have had, you will definitely be using your hand planes more!!

The 25 degree iron is fantastic on straight grained woods, as well as on end grain. The 37 works about the same as a traditional bevel down, but the adjustable mouth really lets you fine tune things. The 50 iron, although harder to push, will really smooth out the gnarly stuff when the grain reverses, or you have a lot of ray fleck like in quartersawn oak. If working with wood that has a lot of knots, you may want to get the toothed iron as well, as it does better on knots.

Using mine has also improved my use of my traditional Bailey's, in that I now have a much better feel for what is the proper mouth adjustment for them.

For heavy material removal, though, I still prefer a bevel-down plane with a good camber on the iron.

One thing I have found with the LA Jack: It is easier for me to slightly loosen the cap-iron screw to make the lateral adjustment. Then I re-tighten it (it does not take much). Advancing and retracting the blade is fine with the screw tightened for regular use, but it does make the lateral adjuster pretty tough.

Great gift!! Kudos to your wife.

Go

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
Well, I dunno about becoming a fanatic, but I've mostly given up sandpaper for anything prior to leveling and polishing the finish. A plane brings out the beauty of the grain much more than an ROS. But removing the patterned marks from the power planer was going a bit slow with a scraper (even a scraping plane) on medium-sized projects, so with a very large projected looming in the near future, I needed to find a better way :>

I'm getting better at cutting joinery slightly oversize and fine-tuning with a plane. But I don't see myself giving up my power planer for heavy stock removal or the router table for decorative edge treatments :>

I have, however, been eying that pair of Veritas skew block planes!

jdulaney

New User
John
Welcome to the world of hand power.

It should be noted that the only two power tools I own are an ancient Craftsman drill and chainsaw.

JWBWW

New User
John
I own only two Veritas/Lee Valley planes. One is a small, low angle pocket block plane and the other is... this same low angle jack plane which I bought to use for shooting veneers. I have many other Stanleys... old Sweethearts, a few transitionals, and five Stanley Baileys from 3 to 7. But nothing in my collection gets used much anymore with the two modern Veritas designs. Solid as rocks... zero chatter... and a real joy to use. After multiple hand surgeries I look for lighter and more ergonomically comfortable tools... and the Veritas planes answer this call perfectly.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I also love my Veritas Low Angle Jack Plane. I mostly use it with a shooting board to square up small pieces and to produce perfect miters.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS