HVAC company recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave

New User
Dave
Can anyone recommend a HVAC company they've used in the Durham area? I had the company I've used before come out to price a "through the wall" AC/Heater combo and they want over $1400 and I'll be doing most of the installation! That's doesn't include the electrical work needed either.

Any referrals would be appreciated!

Dave

bobby g

Bob
Corporate Member
I bought mine online and saved a ton! They are very simple to install. I'll try to find the site of the company that I bought from and post it.

Bob

RayH

New User
Ray
Dave,

If you decide not to do-it-yourself, I've had excellent results with Blinson Service Company. They are located in Raleigh but advertise for "the triangle."

http://www.bschvac.com

They did both the new-construction installation at our house and the add-on through-the-wall in the shop. They handle Trane equipment. Not necessarily the cheapest, but Tony Blinson and his folks have been great to work with.

Best of luck,
Ray

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
HVAC & Refrigeration Experts:
919-773-9223
www.hvac-nc.com

It's my brother's company, so I am a bit biased, but I would not recommend him if he did crappy work.

I'm curious what part of the install you are looking to have done for you?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I had a number of bad experiences of a period of a few years with Metro (now ARS?). We had maintenance with them and they accidentally let the freon out once, left a door loose another time, didn't include something in maintenance (I forget what part, but when they came out on a separate high dollar service call the guy told me it was normal for it to wear out every few years) and were often late. The kicker came when they cleaned the coil and then a few days later the freon all leaked out through a nick in the coil. They would not take responsibility as it was not a 100% certainty that they caused it (probably only 99%), but they told me they would give me a break on the price - normally $1400 but they would do it for $1100. I called around and a small outfit out of Holly Springs quoted me $750. I switched to them. I can't recall their name because Bolton bought them out and we have been with Bolton ever since. Bolton has been reasonably good. I got a letter from Metro offering me a gift certificate for dinner for two if I would fill out an exit survey, so I did. I never got the gift certificate.

mike_wood

Update your profile with your name
User
you might consider a mini-split system (or ductless). They are more efficient and very quiet. Just a suggestion.

pirate71

New User
Evans
I picked up a GE thru the wall unit from R E Michel on Garland St in Durham several years ago for a sun room I was doing. They have both a retail price and contractor price. You definitely want to use a contractor name when you buy it. I used Gerald Jones as the contractor name since they put the siding on my sun room. I think I paid about $1000 for the unit. It is bigger than I really need on the 12' x 18' sun room.

You really don't need an HVAC person for these units. Just cut a hole in the wall, install the metal sleeve, and slide the unit in the sleeve. If you need a electrical contractor to install the circuit, you can call Quality electric((919) 596-8113). I've known Chuck Fletcher, the owner, for years and he has done work for me. He may even let you use his company name at R E Michel.

Evans

dave

New User
Dave
Thanks everyone!

I expect I'll want to do the installation myself, but I am looking for another company anyway, so this might be a good way to check them out. I don't think I trust my current service any longer. On a separate issue, they quoted me $420 to replace two $15 parts in my two furnance units. They quoted two hours of labor and since the parts are $30, that's $390 in labor! Seems high...

Regardless of how I go about the unit for the shop, I also just want to find a trustworthy company.

Mike - are you using one of the mini-split systems? If so, can you give me some more info on it? (Brand, model)

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS