How would you (newbie question)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
I have a plan that calls for 52 pieces 1/2" x 2" x 27" and I'd like some suggestions on getting rough RO to those dimentions. From what I've seen at Woodcraft and Klingspor here in Charlotte is mostly 4/4 lumber. I don't really want to turn half of each board into chips by using 4/4. Although it would be fun:gar-La;:gar-La;. I could use 5/4 and resaw it on the table saw (no bandsaw:cry_smile yet...). Would that be the way to go? Or, maybe 6/4 to allow for more movement after resawing.
Thanks again
Steve

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Hey Steve,

Building a crib??

I'd find you a piece of 8/4 red oak and slice off the pieces like a slab of bacon. Check w/ some local sawyers and see if you can't find any.

Other than that see if you can find some 3/4 stock and use it.

Best of luck which ever way you go!

woodylarry

New User
Larry
Steve, Have you checked with all the local lumber suppliers around you. I bought some 1/2 hard maple from Raleigh lumber a while back. If you find it from a lumber supplier (rather than a woodworking shop) it'll be significantly less expensive as well.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Steve you are thinking of the correct lines. Without a bandsaw, I would cut my 2" width pieces on the table saw, 6/4 would probably yield what you are needing less the blade kerf and planing smooth.
Depending on the actual thickness of the rough lumber and how flat it is, you might get away with using 5/4 for this operation. If it is really true stock at 4/4 and cut thick like Jeff... likes to do, then you souled be able to get two ½" slices out of 4/4 stock.
No bandsaw you say, well you need to get one. Check out the add from Skysharks for the 14" Griz with riser and some sweet tweaks.

Dave:)

SteveCogs

New User
Steve
Thanks for the input.
Phillip, my wife is due this Wednesday. So yes, it's a crib for Alex.
That leads to the reason I do not have a bandsaw. The CFO (LOML) has been very tight with the budget for about 8 months :gar-Bi
I'm going to try and find some 5/4-6/4 RO around here. I'm not allowed to travel more than 1/2 away.

Steve

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Steve, why don't you buy some 5/4 and partner up with a local NCWoodworker member that has a bandsaw?

The last time that I was at Jeremy's (Woodwrangler's) in Charlotte, he had a very sweet (and large) bandsaw with a resaw power feeder that would be perfect for the task at hand.

Jeremy looks like the kind of fellow that would exchange equipment time for beer, so hit him up! :rotflm:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Jeremy is on Weight watchers and doing great (35 lbs. in 2 months) so you might want to change the beer to diet soda! Or something WWing related like turning blanks! :gar-La;

Doug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS