How to slice 45" diameter log?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sazdaman

New User
Steve
I have a 45" oak log sitting in my back yard and would like to slice it to make a table top. Anyone know how I can slice it?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Assuming it's at least 8'6" long and don't contain any tramp steel, load it up on a trailer and take it to Scott Smith.

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
haha..

45" diameter, 8 foot long..red oak..if water oak is around 3 tons..

Does Scott have a slabber on the Peterson?

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
haha..

45" diameter, 8 foot long..red oak..if water oak is around 3 tons..

Does Scott have a slabber on the Peterson?

3 ton logs never scared me much :gar-La; Good point about the slabber... on second thought... load it on a trailer and take it to Kyle.

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
<grin> I now have all of the "parts" to build my dedicated slabber with (including a 40 hp electric motor), but now only need the time!

Kyle's your man. I could get you a couple of wide quartersawn boards from it though... Presuming that the 45" is the small end diameter, by the time that you removed pith and bark you could probably get some 18" - 20" wide quartersawn boards from it for your table.

If you slab it, most likely it will warp somewhat (and if it has pith in it checks will be abundant).

Kyle

New User
Kyle Edwards
<grin> I now have all of the "parts" to build my dedicated slabber with (including a 40 hp electric motor), but now only need the time!

Kyle's your man. I could get you a couple of wide quartersawn boards from it though... Presuming that the 45" is the small end diameter, by the time that you removed pith and bark you could probably get some 18" - 20" wide quartersawn boards from it for your table.

If you slab it, most likely it will warp somewhat (and if it has pith in it checks will be abundant).

Scott is right about some cupping from the flat sawn pieces. You have to re-sticker in sequence to prevent most movement, but quartersawing would be the best bet. You can quarter it to make it more moveable..

The best sections for a table top would be off the pith above and below..

Glennbear

Glenn
I may be reading your original post wrong but if you were planning on "slicing" off a slab like a piece of pepperoni to make a round table top shrinkage and cracking with the pith intact makes this idea unworkable for the reasons Scott and Kyle have stated. BTDT. :wsmile:

nelsone

New User
Ed
Wedge and sledge Steve! But if you're good enough for that then you need to get your butt back to work!:gar-La;

sazdaman

New User
Steve
I would like to slice a piece off like "Pepperoni" for a table top. One reason I have not is because I was afraid it may warp and crack which ya'll said it probably will... :XXfridge:
Ed what are you talking about, why would I want to come back to work???

Also, what were you talking about in your post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS