How to mortise the end of a board?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
I have a project that requires several mortises (the hole) to be made in on the grain end of several small 2 1/2 inch wide boards.
I have a table top mortiser but it does not lend itself to this type of board end drilling. I am leaning toward a drill, a vise, and some sharp chisels but I was wondering if any of you have a better idea.

Keye

Keye
Corporate Member
I can not wait to see all the replies to this.

Do you have a bisquit or slot cutter. This and a chisel might work. A drill bit in end grain might not work so well.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
A Woodrat will do that in a NY second. Next choice would be a horizontal router, followed by a jig for the RT. If you don't have any of those, you could make a mortising jig for a hand held router. If carefully made they can work very well.
Next approach would be to forget about the mortise and use a tool like dowel max (sp). I tried once with a drill press and table turned on edge, but my results were less than stellar.
Just some ideas,
Joe

Charles Lent

Charley
Corporate Member
Make a jig, L shaped with flat surface on one side to hold your router, with a hole in it to fit one of your a router collets. Use the other side of the L to clamp to the side of your board so that the router hole is positioned over the end of the board. Clamp the board upright in your vise with this jig clamped to the top end. Use a plunge router with the collet and an upcut spiral bit to make the mortise. Use several plunging cuts to clear out the bulk of material followed by some side to side motion to remove the rest. The measurements needed to make this work coprrectly are your problem.

Charley

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
Thanks everyone for the great replys. I guess i just didn't think of my router and i should have. I have a plunge router that should work good.

Thanks again

fergy

New User
Fergy
You should be able to set up a dovetail jig to do this as well, if you've got a model that does sliding dovetails.

mkepke

Mark
Senior User
If you were closer Mark, you could come by and use my horizontal mortiser.

A router and homemade jig will work fine tho.

-(another) Mark

WoodWrangler

Jeremy
Senior User
If you were closer Mark, you could come by and use my horizontal mortiser.

A router and homemade jig will work fine tho.

-(another) Mark

I guess to that note and opening my mind a little ... you can do that on the Multirouter fairly easily & accurately. You are more than welcome to come by and use it.

jmauldin

New User
Jim
My approach would be to use a self-centering doweling jig then clean up with a chisel. Much simpler.
Jim in Mayberry

DavidF

New User
David
How long is the piece? I have made a horizontal router attachment for my TS that works well for long pieces, but for shorter lengths I use my B&D workmate. Clamp the board vertically and use the top as a support for the router. Use the edge of the table top to run a guide fence along and clamp end stops to limit travel.

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
mark,
Here's a jig that works well (regular and end mortises, if the boards aren't super long). It was in Shopnotes IMRC.

mortisejig1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS