How to make a bandsaw fence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
Hi Folks, how would you make a fence for a 14" bandsaw. I believe that it is a HF saw but it is second hand and did not have a fence with it. I know that I could just do a bracket type "L" and make sure it is square to the table and blade but was wanting your input of how you all would go about it. Or would it be just as cost effective to order a fence and hope it is the correct one. The saw is 14", green and has no names on it to identify the maker. Anyone having a fence laying around not in use please let me know. Thanks. Steve

Mike Wilkins

Mike
Corporate Member
You have a couple of options (actually 3).
1. Check with HF and see if they offer a fence for this bandsaw.
2. Check the FineWoodworking site; there was an article in one of the Shops issues illustrating the construction of a bandsaw fence using solid and plywood.
3. Poke around in one of the woodworking tool catalogs or websites for a Kreg bandsaw fence or the bandsaw fence from Woodworkers Supply.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Steve, I'm not sure how much it will help, but here is a link to pics of two fences I've made for band saws. The smaller one is for a 14" Delta, and the larger one is for a 14" Rikon.

HTH

Bill

richlife

New User
Rich
Steve, I'm not sure how much it will help, but here is a link to pics of two fences I've made for band saws. The smaller one is for a 14" Delta, and the larger one is for a 14" Rikon.

HTH

Bill

Bill, thanks for the link and all the detail pics. Ingenious and well-planned. I especially like the orange tape. :D

FlyingRon

Ron
There are a couple of real nice aftermarket bandsaw fences. Carter has one that sticks on with magnets. Kreg makes a bandsaw fence as well which I've been toying with replacing the rather mundane one on my griz.

jazzflute

Kevin
Corporate Member
I'm sorry, but until I do this, every time I see the subject line on the home page I'm going to keep thinking this until I get it out of my system:

Buy it a sword and see if it is interested.

Make it a great deal on some jewelry of questionable origin and then let it list the pieces on Craigslist.

OK. I feel MUCH better now. Glad I could help.

K

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Kreg Precision Bandsaw Fence new in a box with the resaw adapter and micro-adjuster. I bought them for a similar bandsaw to yours and then sold the bandsaw before I could install them. This is a description of them.

Kreg® Precision Bandsaw Fence - Lee Valley Tools

I'd sell them for about 3/4 what they cost new. PM me if interested.

- Ken.

Ben325e

New User
Ben
I'm sorry, but until I do this, every time I see the subject line on the home page I'm going to keep thinking this until I get it out of my system:

Make it a great deal on some jewelry of questionable origin and then let it list the pieces on Craigslist.

K

This applies to "How to make a bandsaw a pirate" equally well :)

well the Crazy Canadian says we Americans are crazy using fences with our band-saw he sells this called the little ripper.... he cut veneer thick material at the woodworking show last weekend.... when ever you use a fence you apply pressure to the side of the blade and this cause heat which undoes the blade set and causes the blade to start to drift but when you only put pressure on the front of the blade this does not happen.... so I am going to try to make my own sliding table for the band-saw instead of using a fence might be worth looking at

.: Stockroom Supply :. Stockroom Supply | Little Ripper

ehpoole

Ethan

Or you can visit your local high school music room to secure your band, then take them outdoors to the property line and you have your fence. When band has seen fence, you've "made a bandsaw fence". :)

So sayeth the Expert (otherwise known as a "has been drip under pressure").

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
I use a piece of 4X4 and 2X4 Douglas Fir on my small bandsaw that is very dry and jointed 2 sides square. Clamp it to the table at slightly over the desired width and saw. You'll need to adjust for drift if you want a smooth straight cut.

smallboat

smallboat
Corporate Member
Or you can visit your local high school music room to secure your band, then take them outdoors to the property line and you have your fence. When band has seen fence, you've "made a bandsaw fence". :)

So sayeth the Expert (otherwise known as a "has been drip under pressure").

I've been having the same problem with "How did you learn to turn" they were being so serious with the responses I couldn't bring myself to answer
"I kept running into things when I went straight".

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
"I have the Kreg Precision Bandsaw Fence new in a box with the resaw adapter and micro-adjuster."

When my shop made fence warped out of square (doesn't take much!), I bought the Kreg. No regrets.
The point adapter is really nice for re-saw IMHO.

ehpoole

Ethan
I've been having the same problem with "How did you learn to turn" they were being so serious with the responses I couldn't bring myself to answer
"I kept running into things when I went straight".

Don't feel bad, I've been suffering through the same with Mike's "Turning Workshop" thread. I assume the point of a turning workshop is to keep up with the sun's progression -- what some woodworkers will do for better lighting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS