How sharp is sharp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Heard this question again today. Not directed to me directly but as a comment about someone else.

My first thought was "depends", that's always my first thought... :dontknow:

The thought was still rambling around in my brain tonight and I think it depends on what your level of OCD happens to be.

But, of course, there is always an appropriate level of sharpness for any tool, any project and any user. Determining that level is the true test of expertise.

So, can a tool be too sharp? Not for the brain surgeon nor the master craftsman. But, the workman can waste valuable time in trying to achieve a fineness of edge that is beyond the requirement of the job at hand.

Let's not split hairs here, if the tool does its job to the satisfaction of the workman it is sharp enough.

What say ye?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
I'm inclined to agree.
Sharp , sharper, sharp enough... I've found too many times that sharp enough, simply isn't
But, it isn't just "sharp" that is important, but how you obtain it, and at what cost?
-you could grind which can quickly lead to over-heating
metal is a funny media certain things like heat can alter its integrity
-no matter how sharp the edge, if the angle is wrong, you are going to regret it

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
For me, "sharp enough" is when the tool does it's intended job without the user having to exert extra force. If you have to struggle or force a tool to cut, then it probably isn't sharp enough. That applies to chisels, planes, turning tools, carving tools, even power tool blades, such as table saws and band saws.

In my opinion, a sharp blade is also safer than a dull blade. Having to force a tool into the wood, or the wood into a blade, can often lead to slipping and an accident.

Finally, I can't think of a situation where a tool can be too sharp. Although when someone sharpens a tool for you and hands it back w/ a band-aid, you might wonder. :rotflm:

Bill

Glennbear

Glenn
For me, "sharp enough" is when the tool does it's intended job without the user having to exert extra force. If you have to struggle or force a tool to cut, then it probably isn't sharp enough. That applies to chisels, planes, turning tools, carving tools, even power tool blades, such as table saws and band saws.

In my opinion, a sharp blade is also safer than a dull blade. Having to force a tool into the wood, or the wood into a blade, can often lead to slipping and an accident.

Bill

That pretty much sums up my thoughts although I would add that sometimes my tools are sharpened to different degrees depending upon current usage. I am currently clearing sections of my property and depending upon the growth I am attacking I may put a razor edge on my machetes or less of a fine edge. A Wilkinson sword type edge when attacking saplings is counterproductive. :wsmile:

Jeffhfd

New User
Jeff
I think Bill summed it up pretty good, forcing wood through a dull blade or vise versa is probably the reason for most accidents, So as far as How Sharp Is Sharp? I think sharper is better and safer.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Don't forget the danger of heart attacks or strokes either - I have been through this scenario more than once (you would think I would learn)...

You start a project (turning and carving are the usual suspects for me), selecting the wood and getting out the tools, making sure they are nice and sharp. You begin the work and the further you progress, the duller the tools become. At the same time, the further you progress, the less margin for error there is. If you make a mistake early, you can alter your design to account for it (does anyone make bud vases on purpose? :) ) but if take a chunk out of a largely complete form, it's firewood. This can tend to make your blood pressure rise a bit...

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I like sharp. And I agree with that which here to fore has been posted. With one exception. About a blade can't be "too sharp". Not wood working.

I have more than once intentional "dulled" the blade of my fillet knife on the edge of the cleaning board to get that "just right" degree of sharp that allows me to peel the flesh from the skin of a fish without cutting into the skin. Not a deer hunter myself, but having a neighbor who is and having assisted in several renderings, I have also found there are some aspects to that task that also are better accomplished with a "not too sharp" edge. (Back when I was hunting, my idea of "sharp" met the need, but was not near the level that I now know is possible, thanks to woodworking).

JMTCW

Go

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
It is too sharp if it is a razor's edge for pruning small shrubs. It is not sharp enough if I have to study how I am trying to cut something.

jhreed

james
Corporate Member
I sharpened a Buck folding hunter for my boss one time. He had previously sharpened it with a bench grinder, file, and cinder block. The blade suffered from being over heated and was badly gapped up. I filed away the over heated and gapped up steel and then got busy putting on a proper edge. Finishing up with a black hard Arkansas oil stone. The edge of the blade was shiny like a mirror. It was so sharp it would shave without pulling. I had many hours in remediating this knife.

I proudly took it back to my boss and showed him how it would shave. He immediately tried to cut a piece of 1/2" polypropelene rope. The knife just slid up and down without cutting the rope. He took the knive to a cinder block and gave the blade a dozen strokes on each side of the blade, then sawed the rope up with the jagged edge of the knife blade.

I had made the knife too sharp for his uses!!!

I do not sharpen for others anymore!!

James

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Your boss was an idiot who had no idea how to use a knife nor how to properly care for one and apparently he had little regard for anyone around him. I have dealt with similar fools in the same manner, i.e. never doing anything for them again. However, I have tried not to let them ruin my appreciation of mankind in general. There are some folks worthy of our efforts.

Jeffhfd

New User
Jeff
LOL at Bruce and ANDY that is sharp!! Speaking of sharp i bought some Fat Max chisels by Stanley today and they bost EXTRA SHARP in that line of chisels from the package, and they are truly sharp, but i couldnt resist the urge to get my stone and put that little extra touch on them LOL. The grip on the chisels feel great and i cant wait to try them out, The better half had plans for me today so i didnt get to play (cough) (cough) i mean work in the shop, LOL.

victoon

New User
Victor
considering the amount of knowledge on sharpening and great abrasives available nowadays, I'd say go crazy. few things are more rewarding than using a sharp edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS