How do you cut small trim pieces?

Robert166

robert166
Corporate Member
Made a small jewelry box, decided to line it with some sassafras. Well I did not cut the miters correctly and have small gaps in the corners. So I thought if I could cut some small triangle pieces to cover my mistakes all will be well. The only tool I feel comfortable cutting such small pieces is with the bandsaw. Is there an easy way to do this? Get nice straight triangle pieces on a bandsaw? How would you do it?

Martin Roper

Martin
Senior User
Use double-sided tape to attach the trim piece to a larger piece of scrap then cut it on the miter saw. An added benefit is that the scrap will prevent tearout on the bottom of the trim piece.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I too have experienced problems with cutting small pieces. I agree with the recommendations provided above. Calibrating your saw is essential. I have also found sleds for small pieces to be useful as well as using double sided tape. If you plan on building other projects requiring smaller components, then investing time in building/buying jigs is worth considering.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
use a wider/thicker piece of material, set the table saw up on a 45 and adjust the rip fence to rip the desired triangular piece off each of the four corners. Much safer than trying to stabilize a small piece of material in a jig. Just my opinion.

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
All the things mentioned plus An 8" fine tooth on your table saw. It does not have the same inertia so it tends to be easier on small piece cutting.

HITCH-

Hitch
Corporate Member
Made a small jewelry box, decided to line it with some sassafras. Well I did not cut the miters correctly and have small gaps in the corners. So I thought if I could cut some small triangle pieces to cover my mistakes all will be well. The only tool I feel comfortable cutting such small pieces is with the bandsaw. Is there an easy way to do this? Get nice straight triangle pieces on a bandsaw? How would you do it?
A picture or 2 would be helpful. There may be an easier solution to the problem.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Shooting boards are the best way to trim small pieces. May need part holder of some kind.
I have a Harvey joint-master that does small bits easily and safely. Never get near my TS or miter saw with small pieces. Powered sanders can also be touchy with small parts.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors