How do I fix bow in plywood drawer frame w/ pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis

New User
Travis
Much to my chagrin I have an 1/8" inch bow over a 26" span in the plywood frame for a bank of drawers in a dresser. The drawers are suppose to fit with a 1/6" clearance. Some how this happened although the case was perfectly square. I considered maybe wrapping with damp towels and clampping down over a period of time. Check out pictures below to get a visual. The rule should read 7".

Thanks

DSC08884.JPG

DSC08885.JPG

DSC08883.JPG

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Travis- check all your openings, you might have two warped faceframes and if each is 1/32 off it will obviously give you 1/16 total error. Use a straight edge to check all frames.

I assume you will be using flush inset drawers, otherwise if they are overlay drawer fronts, no big deal. One idea is to live with it- make the drawer fronts match the frame bow and all.

Dampening and clamping is one approach. Dry clamping might work, also. In any case you need a good opposing surface to anchor the other half of the clamp- not one of the other shelves. Clamping may not work in the long run however.

Can you reemove the warped piece and install a new one? The best guarantee of a straight frame.

BillPappas

New User
Bill
I think I would plan on fitting the drawers to the bow. If you get the drawers to fit evenly I don't think you will see the bow.

Regards,

Bill

rywilson

New User
Ryan
I just watched Norm do a piece where he talked about fixing this type of issue. He fixed the problem by nailing through the backer into the dust frames in the dresser. He drew straight lines in the inside of the backer where the dust frames should line up. He then used clamps to make sure the dust frames were lined up and then put brads through the back.

I think a similar approach could work here also.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Did you cut all of the dividers at the same time? Could the one that is bowed be slightly longer than the others? Could happen if you cut them at different times.

BTW, how did you assemble this carcass? Any chance of taking it apart and replacing/adjusting the bowed one?

DavidF

New User
David
A central divider might work if you put it in all drawer boxes or the bow might just get transfered to the next one. Make it set back from the front for the inset drawer fronts and make the drawer boxes narrower to accomodate the dividers. I think nailing to the back won't do the job in this case. Or, make the drawer front fit the opening. Only you will know, but that might be one person too many!!

rick7938

New User
Rick
I've had good luck spraying the piece liberally with hot water and clamping slightly tighter than necessary to allow for a little spring-back after drying.

Good Luck.

Travis

New User
Travis
Thanks for the great advice.

I will try soaking with spraying with hot water then clamping first then nailing theback panel while clamped in place. If that does not work I will ether add a drawer divider on match the curve of the frame to the drawer front. Will post results later as they come.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS