how did you learn to turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
We have thoughts of writing a book / producing videos (LOL!)(will have to stop all that zooming, huh?) about the turning education and skill set of the 18th and 19th century turners. A major point of the book would be to teach people that skill set.

But is that how we learn these sorts of skills?

When I was starting out, I tried some books but none really helped. I dug around on YouTube and learned odds & ends, but they didn't really help either. Basically my learning was to do it for as many hours every day as I could. I also blogged about it, and got advice back on a daily basis (transAtlantic apprenticeships are tough). It seemed like little tips here and little tips there plus hours and hours and hours in front of the lathe were what it took.

Two questions:

1. Any books / learning products you recommend & why?

2. How did you learn to turn?

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Like you I mostly did trial and error. In high school I took woodworking but the teacher had his hands full with the 30 goofy teenagers and a shop of sharp things to try to keep track of.
The best help I had was Knud Oland. He was a master and prolific turner. He did more to help me and encourage me than I can say. Nothing like a little one on one with someone that knows what they are doing.
The best video I have seen is one of Richard Raffan. His technique and artistry are immediately evident.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
It was much easier for me once Alan was here. The problems arise on a moment-by-moment basis, and having someone say or demo how to do it right there on the spot was the very best solution of all. It is an argument for apprenticeships of some sort, I think.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I took up turning in my 20s. Figured it out as I went. Never had any help or instruction. Probably did my best work then.

Now I see what others are doing and realize everything I do is wrong.

I would like to start over and learn to do it the right way, but time, money, old habits, time, distance, lack of funds, and don't know anyone who would work with an old cantankerous fool.

aplpickr

New User
Bill
After my wife had bought me all the other toys, she bought me a lathe. I surfed the net and joined the best turning club in America, just 20 miles from home. JOIN A TURNING CLUB! Live demos are better than books or videos.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
After my wife had bought me all the other toys, she bought me a lathe. I surfed the net and joined the best turning club in America, just 20 miles from home. JOIN A TURNING CLUB! Live demos are better than books or videos.

I am familiar with Carolina Mountain Woodturners here, and they are very very good.

For networking, I feel they or a similar organization would be excellent for turners at any skill level. Alan & I should get off our butts and go to the monthly meetings so we can meet our neighbours. I laughed when he asked me (from England) if I might be able to find a turner around here to show me how to use a skew. I told him, quite correctly, that this region is wall-to-wall carpeted with some of the best turners in the world.

That said, I question the accessibility of the techniques demonstrated, especially for beginners. I just looked and the April & May demos are, as has been my impression before, quite specialized and well beyond the reach of the beginning turner.

But I agree that live is best.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
I'm self taught. with this self teaching I learned 2 things..... 1-I'm not too good at it and 2- I am not a good teacher!:no: But in defense of my teacher I don't put a lot of time on the lathe.......:) I enjoy flat work much more.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
That is a brilliant answer. You confused me at least TWICE, and each time I was the one wrong and your phrasing was dead-on accurate. Self-taught is hard. And lonely. I would not have worked so hard by myself if I hadn't had support on the blog every day.

MikeH

New User
Mike
What I've learned I've learned on my own. I've read some in books and online and experimented.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
Do you like it?

I am really curious if the old apprentice programs might need reviving in some way. That's why I am asking all these Qs.

As an example... Warren Wilson has a writing program that has produced award winning writers (and is so expensive you wouldn't believe, but that is another story). They work with adults who have lives, kind of like us, and so what you do is contract with one+ of their staff to work through a set of exercises. Most of this is done by email. (I am kind of making this up but it's close.) SOMETIMES, though, you have to go to WW and stay for a week. Twice a year or so. And that is when you do the intensive work with the published writers. I am wondering if this model might work for teaching programs.

Develop a program. Kick it off in person for a couple of days for the basic stuff. Then the beginner/learner goes through the exercises at their own pace, and can call or write to the teacher person. At regular intervals, though, they have to work together. You could either have different turners be the hosts, or join at a common spot, like John C Campbell?

Carolina Mtn Woodturners has a mentor program in place. I wonder if it has worked out for them?

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
The one thing I recommend to new turners is to start off using pieces of fresh cut branches or sapling trunks between centers. Making mushrooms is a good exercise. They are very forgiving of catches, don't give off any dust, don't have corners to knock off and they are free.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
My son learned on green wood. I learned on seasoned (kind of). My personal preference is to teach/learn on seasoned wood, because of the resistance. Green wood is so soft. However, the boy (now age 10) is a decent turner and he started on poplar, so there you go. And free is never to be sneezed at, for sure.

Okay. Am going to put an auction of a chess set on EBay then head into the workshop. We are doing that demo on Saturday and I haven't been at the lathe in a good old long while... Gotta get my game on!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I agree about seasoned wood if there is a teacher. I should have qualified that better. For self taught (or taught without someone there with you), I think the forgiving nature of green wood is a significant safety feature.

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
I agree entirely. I started on the old ShopSmith, as I said. Didn't know where the ON switch was, nor how to get the belt to change gears for speed changes (I took the pulley off every time for the first 6 months). ALSO, I started with irregular wood and turned the dowels down myself. Got good with a gouge, I can assure you.

Also got black & blue from wood flying off the lathe. I only had a screw chuck and changing speeds got old, so I floored it. Pretty regularly the wood would fly off when the screw sheared or the whole thing just got to going too fast. It would rumble and roar like a washing machine out of balance...then POP! Off came the wood.
Green or seasoned makes no diff when it whacks you in the shoulder. :no:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
I've been turning harpsichord legs for years, and I must admit I have no idea what I'm doing. I have no technique, a crummy lathe, terrible cheap tools, no clue as to what tool to use at any given time, etc, and tons of excuses why I haven't made the effort and taken the time to learn how to turn correctly. I take pride in the fact that some of my instruments have up to fourteen matching legs (see picture below), and I've managed to turn them without killing myself. I would be extremely embarrassed to let anyone actually watch me attempt these feats of insanity, and I suspect that is one of the main reasons that I don't seek the help I desperately need. So, in answer to your question "how did you learn to turn" I can honestly say that I never did. I have learned, however, that the lathe can be a very forgiving machine. In my case, it would have to be.

Ernie

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
:rotflm:

I went and looked to see if I could find the row of pawns I did as my first exercise in replication. It took me 6 hours (acutely stressed for every minute of it). I will find them and post a pic, along with the very first thing I ever turned, which looks like some horrible godzilla thing with ring segments for a body. I take my hat off to you! That's a heck of a lot of good turning there.

I have a $100 Harbor Freight lathe now, and a $50 box of tools that I adore along with the junk I got with the old ShopSmith. I, too, use whatever tool occurs to me to use whenever I think it might solve my immediate problem. I forget the names of parts of the lathe, and so have to look everything up before I ask a question. I have Alan to pester, to my great good luck.

zapdafish

Steve
Corporate Member
Goodwill lathe and helpful NCWoodworkers dropping by or letting me drop in :icon_thum

And then it was trial and error

aplpickr

New User
Bill
Milissa: CMW has a list of mentors that will teach beginners. Most meeting weekends we have classes that run from beginners to more advanced. These are all day and are about $30 for members. Joe Ruminski teaches classes at his studio in Fairview. Milissa: CMW has a list of mentors that will teach beginners. Most meeting weekends we have classes that run from beginners to more advanced. These are all day and are about $30 for members. Joe Ruminski teaches classes at his studio in Fairview. http://www.thegiftturningstudio.com/workshops/schedule
John C. Campbell in Brasstown and Arrowmont in Gatlinburg teach classes in woodturning. These are more expensive, but are wonderful and are available for beginners. Almost any demo is useful, even for the rankest beginner. A conversation of 5 to 10 minutes is useful for lathe and tool recommendations. Also knowledge of local wood and supplies sources. Do you know about Cormark International in Weaverville? They are a major supplier to Woodcraft. A couple of years ago they sold Afr. blackwood scraps for $3/lb. John C. Campbell in Brasstown and Arrowmont in Gatlinburg teach classes in woodturning. These are more expensive, but are wonderful and are available for beginners. Almost any demo is useful, even for the rankest beginner. A conversation of 5 to 10 minutes is useful for lathe and tool recommendations. Also knowledge of local wood and supplies sources. Do you know about Cormark International in Weaverville? They are a major supplier to Woodcraft. A couple of years ago they sold Afr. blackwood scraps for $3/lb.

Last edited:

Flootsie

New User
Milissa
Bill: Thanks! I was aware of the mentor program, which I admire. I will check out Cormark. That is a good tip.

Been messing around in the workshop for the first time in ages. Figured I had better do some captured rings in the privacy of my own home before trying to do it publicly Saturday!

So, I ended up doing rings within rings with the Pau marfim Tony sent us. I will put a day in tomorrow doing detail stuff like this: I like detail work. And sawdust.

Then we head to Charlotte Saturday, looking forward to meeting some of y'all. :)

rings.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS