How can I make a deep, ellipse shaped hole with handtools?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Lahey

New User
Mr. Lahey
I'm working on a project which requires me to make a hole about three inches deep which is shaped like an ellipse. Is there a way to do this with hand tools and a drill?

Oh by the way its not a hole that goes all the way through, so its really more of a deep mortise I guess.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Yes, there is. Is it a true ellipse or a rounded rectangle? The latter is much easier as you drill the corners and as much of the center as you can and then chisel straight lines in between. If it is a true ellipse, step 1 is to do the largest rectangle within it as described and then pare (carve) out the hole.

EDIT - I love my hand tools and resort to power only when I might save substantial time or have a much higher percentage chance of success when something needs to be very precise. I would see this as one of those times and use my router and a mortising bit and extension. I am not saying it can't be done quickly or with enough precision with hand tools, just that I would be more confident in my ability to get it done quickly and correctly with power.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Are you talking about something that is dished out or square walls? If square walled, a router with a template is your best option. If dished like a bowl, carving gouges.

DaveD

New User
Dave
Hog out the majority with forstner bits and then carving gouges to do the rest. You can take a scrap piece of plywood and drill a hole in it with the forstner bit and then use that plywood/hole as a guide to start the bit in to the work.

With a little practice you can also get the forstner started freehand in the work with a drill and don't need the pilot piece.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I go back and forth on the Forstner bits for hogging. My wife and/or kids usually come out to see if I have started the garage on fire. :) It is very difficult to hog wood without smoking. Of course, I have been known to resort to some fairly extreme measures to do bulk hollowing...

rebechollow1.jpg

rebechollow2.jpg

rebechollow3.jpg

CoolHandLuke

New User
Dave
If power tools are on the table for discussion, I'd agree with the router, you can even rig it up like a pendulum if you need a dished shape bottom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors