Hope Chest with Chris's Curly Maple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Hope chest with Curly Maple and Cherry.

006-3_zps6fff75bf.jpg

Breadboards with pins showing and slight round overlap, allowing expansion or contraction to look natural to the non craftsman.

008-4_zps730164de.jpg

Joinery with blind dovetails and dados, no screws or fasteners other than for hardware.

010-4_zpsf4d0b046.jpg

Employs a till box, with lid which opens and serves as chest lid support. Hinges custom made by a blacksmith. Drawers sliding dovetail holding front face with through dovetails for drawer backs.

012-4_zps40a49c66.jpg

Till box has suprise, with Shedua (East Africa) hardwood inlay.

013-4_zps996616ae.jpg

llucas

luke
Senior User
That is an absolute inspiration! Great combination of woods and excellent execution. Thanks for sharing.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Very nice work and excellent craftsmanship!

Looks like a 2014 NCWW calendar entry to me.

Thanks for sharing!

Wayne

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Looks great. Is this your own design?

I did the design in Solidworks, using parametric modeling, meaning each part is designed in 3D and then assembled. I must admit though, that I had something else in mind, then I saw a picture similar to this and used that as inspiration.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Awesome chest.....where did you get the hinges If I may ask...:icon_thum

NC_Horn

Duane
Corporate Member
Absolutely beautiful! Great job all around. Love the figure in the wood, the inlay, dovetails,.....I love it all.

Congratulations on a wonderful project.

Duane

SeanStuart

New User
SeanStuart
Willem your work is truly top caliber. Not just the craftsmanship but the proportions and simplicity of the overall look. The inlay is beautiful, have you considered doing a video or instructional slide show of some sort on inlay? I love the piper that you've done a few variations of.

Thanks for posting.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Willem your work is truly top caliber. Not just the craftsmanship but the proportions and simplicity of the overall look. The inlay is beautiful, have you considered doing a video or instructional slide show of some sort on inlay? I love the piper that you've done a few variations of.

Thanks for posting.

Thx Sean. The inlay process I do is not difficult, I use a scroll saw with stacked board cutting and don't regard myself as good on the scroll saw. There are a lot of folks now using lasers, with high precision and they will do inlays at reasonable pricing. The inlay on this project probably took about 1/2 hour to do on an old Dremel scroll saw.

If enough folks are interested, we can organize a demo, or a class in the triangle, but preferably adding someone who is good at intarsia, or has a lot of scroll saw experience which will be way above my skill level.

Anyone post up here if interested, we can perhaps organize at my shop and throw some other stuff in. Will have to be in May though, I am booked out with work for March and April. We can also consult with Kevin to see if he will offer his shop closer to Raleigh/Durham (Jazzflute) he loves all of us drooling over his sliding table saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS