home-made overhead blade guard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very nice Sully. How well do you think something like that would work suspended from the ceiling?

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
It seems like us guys in little Washington, are building over-blade devices. I saw Jay's the other day and he did a super job!! His guard is built like a tank. All the holes for the screws that hold it together are nicely drilled and tapped! His parallelogram mount is well made as well. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

(Hey JackLeg, mine will be done in a few days- only about 7 months late.)

Above, I used the term 'device' because, in contrast to Jays, I am only building an over-blade dust pickup not a guard. My appendages will still be able to contact the blade! :saw: Also, I am cobbling mine together with PVC pipe, a little lexan, and some broom bristles.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Very Nice...I made one a few years back and hung mine from ceiling like Bass ewas asking.....works great....just need to upgrade to cyclone now

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
As per "FWW on Proven Shop Tips", this type of guard was originally designed to cut insulation for the space shuttle. Most think Bill Biesemeyer came up with the original idea, but it was published in "NASA Tech. Briefs, Johnson Space Center. FWW published it in 1985. FYI

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Here's a project I've been tinkering with a few weeks now. There's still a few more tweaks I need to make, but it is in service and works.

The guard itself is 3/8 lexan. If I make another one I think I might go a little thinner on the lexan as it is heavy. The guard was modeled on the Badger Pond article that is posted all over the place.

The support bracket is 5/8" ID black iron pipe and is mounted to a pipe flange that is mounted to a piece of channel bolted to the back rail and table. Thanks for looking.

I figured that instead of just buying one I could spend lots more time and money making one. :rotflm: Just kidding. Actually, I have very little invested in it (about $30), since most of the items were lying around the farm already.

J

I really like the precision, sure beats my home depot/HF version:embaresse

PVC, hose, and HF laser, hooked up to 1hp mini dust collector and shop made mobile base. My saw is on casters
DustBlade_w_laser2.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors