holdfast - minimum bench thickness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

merrill77

Master Scrap Maker
Chris
I picked up Shwartz's workbench design book yesterday and got through the first few chapters. I was surprised to read that holdfasts don't work as well with a really thick top - as I had assumed the thicker the better. I was pleasantly surprised that he also said they are good down to about a 1.25" thick top. I had been planning on a 2" thick top and so I had written off using a holdfast.

Anyone used a holdfast in a 2" thick top? Does it work?

TIA!
Chris

bluedawg76

New User
Sam
they seem to work fine in my sliding deadman which is ~ 1 3/8" thick, so at 2" you should be fine.

Sam

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Chris,

It is simple physics - the hold fast will be at a lower angle to the sides of the hole if it is very deep and then it won't grip as well, but for most purposes probably well enough. If it proves to be a problem, you can put a plug in so you can center a bit from the bottom and drill an enlarged hole on the underside. Pop the plug back out and you now have a 1.5" deep holes in a 2" top if you drilled .5" or whatever; you get the idea. The oversized underside hole would not have to be much larger at all. But just keep that idea in reserve if it proves to be a problem; you may be fine at 2".

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you go to Gramercy Tools information page about their holdfasts, you'll find information on exactly this subject.

http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...tore&nextpage=/extra/blogpage.html&BlogID=251

They recommend exactly what Andy was talking about for too-thick benches and also talk about adding extra blocking to too-thin benches.

They mention a range of 1-7/8" to 3" thick as being no problem, but provide the already mentioned solutions for thicker or thinner benches.

Excellent Holdfasts, btw.

- Ken.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
2- 3/4" and Gramercy holdfasts work fine!

IMG_29101.jpg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Mine are home-made from 3/4" cold-rolled steel, not Gramercy's, but work fine in anything over 1 1/2". When I put some holes in the front of my bench, the thickness was over 4". I had to enlarge the holes slightly, and roughed up the hold fast by sanding across the length with 120 grit paper. Held fine after that.

My work bench top is 2" white oak. My saw benches are 1 1/2" pine. Work great in both.

JMTCW

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS