Hitachi Circ Saw and Gas Nailer Opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
My 30yr B&D Circ. Saw won't turn on after disassemby, cleaning, etc and I'm needing to replace it. The Hitachi C7SB2 can be had for ~$65 after S&H here:
http://www.reconditionedsales.com/Hitachi_C7SB2_7-14_15_Amp_Circular_Saw_(Reconditioned)___i258.aspx

I also stumbled on this gas powered framer for $163: http://www.reconditionedsales.com/H...ad_Framing_Nailer_(Reconditioned)___i317.aspx
I know very little about nailers bigger than 18 gauge and have a shed extension project coming up. My understanding is they make a good pneumatic nailer. This one uses Hitachi or Passlode fuel and uses any plastic full head collated nails.
Any opinions on this?
Thanks!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Gas sure beats lugging a hose around, especially when you are "off the ground". Any warranty? Sounds like a deal.

Bryan S

Bryan
Corporate Member
Mark I cant say anything good or bad about the Hitachi nailer but a coworker has the Paslode nailers and likes them alot. He has gotten to where he uses them almost allways. Says even though they're a little heavier he don't have to drag the hose around.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I have the Hitachi circular saw. I like it, I use it primarily for cutting down large sheet goods but it can handle thicker items without problems. For $65, it's a good deal.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I too have the Hitachi C7SB2. I use it mostly for cutting sheet goods and PT lumber. I would say it is well worth $65.

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
not a big fan of gas powered nailers for framing jobs, I guess they have their convenience, but a pneumatic nailer with a properly sized compressor only needs to take breaks when you run out of nails (great when putting up sheathing) which happens even less frequently if you use a coil nailer.

btw, thanks Mark, I just found a new favorite site!

Last edited:

scsmith42

New User
Scott Smith
Gas nailers are nice under certain circumstances, but for most work I prefer an air nailer. There are lightweight air hoses available that are a MUST HAVE when toting a framing nailer around.

Hitachi makes a great saw, but I've had bad luck when purchasing reconditioned tools. Seems like they always die prematurely on me, but after they're out of warranty.

But for $65 bucks for a Hitachi, it's hard to go wrong even if it goes south in a few years.

Scott

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Thanks everyone for the feedback!
I pulled the trigger on these last night and we will see how they work out. The saw has had "Best Buy" designations from FWW and Consumer Reports so no worries there. The nailer has a mixed review on Amazon but it appears they had some issues early on. If it doesn't work out I can return it and only be out 2 fuel cartridges and a pack of nails which I'm sure can be re-sold on CL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS