Hgtv + Diy = -iq

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
I happened to catch a bit of DIY to the Rescue on HGTV last saturday.

Horror of Horror's, I watched as the "Carpentactor" let the home owner rip some long boards on the table saw.

What did he use as a push stick?

A metal bodied framing hammer.

I literally leaped out of my seat yelling at the TV.

Jim

DavidF

New User
David
The producer probably knew you shouldn't use your hand, but could'nt remember quite why........

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
That sounds like it deserves a letter to the producer. Loads of folks tune into these "experts" to learn. No hammer is an acceptable push stick.

Ray

zimman20

New User
Rich Zimmerman
Good grief....all their home improvement shows (both HGTV and DIY) are awful, IMO.

One of them has 'NYW' now and I'm sure most have noticed...they're cut to ribbons to make room for commercials up the wazoo. I can't even watch them on that channel! :roll:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I watch DIY just for the heck of it, but I am sick and tired of them showing the same This Old House episodes over and over again. They don't show any of the old ones with Bob Vila or Steve Thomas.

The DIY to the Rescue bunch does do a few wild things here and there, I have to agree. Oh well, have to start watching the woodworking channel more and DIY less.

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Some of the old hands up at the sample dept. use to use an ice pick as a push block for really narrow stock. It worked good, but it still made me a little nervous.

Travis

New User
Travis
Yep, those shows are ridiculous. The worst one is the house flippin show. There is no such thing as easy money in the housing market.

FIVEBYFIVE

New User
MICHAEL
you are only as smart as the person teaching you. obviously the people on that show need some help with safty issues.

clowman

Clay Lowman
OMG.. I mean think about it from this angle. If that hammer would make only the slightest contact with the blade. Aside from the rather large flying metal hammer, I would imagine that would be enough to remove about every carbide tip from the blade. If that was a 40 tooth blade.. that's 40 chances for serious injury. ( ok.. 41.. with the hammer). I recently saw a sawstop dvd. They gave some statistics on how many injuries occurred. I'd say this guy is upping the average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors