Here we go again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
So....after letting my polyacrylic cure for about 10 days I decided to start rubbing out my finish today. I used cushioned sanding discs (micro mesh) that went from 600 grit to 1500++ with my ROS. I lubed with water and very light dish soap. The top coat looks really smooth as can be seen with a mirror like reflection but there is a slightly cloudy or milky hue. Is this because I used water on a water-based top coat? Will it gradually go away? Do I need to buff longer? I am really starting to get frustrated. I swear I've read every finish book at least 3 times and asked a million questions. Can anybody help? Thanks! :BangHead:

GregSmith

Greg
Corporate Member
Is it a cloudiness that doesn't go away when you apply paste wax? - other than that, I got nothin'.:dontknow:

pslamp32

New User
Peter
No, I haven't applied wax yet. I mean maybe it's just the scratches from sanding but I was led to believe that moving up through grits would eventually bring out a gloss finish.

Howard Acheson

New User
Howard
What sheen polycrylic did you use? Have you only rubbed with 600 grit at this time?

600 grit will smooth the surface but it will not produce a gloss sheen. The scratches left by the 600 grit are too large to leave any sort of the gloss finish. The "cloudiness" may well be just the result of the sanding with the 600 grit. If you want a glossier surface, you will have to work up with finer grits finishing off with a polishing compound it you want a high gloss.

Two other things. When you intend to rub out a waterborne acrylic finish, you should give it at least three weeks to cure hard. It can also be problematic to use water as your lubricant. Better to use mineral spirits but be careful if you are using an electric tool for your sanding. I'm not a fan of that. Hand rubbing is the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors