Help with Identifying Old Sharpening Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.

W Burton

New User
Bill
attachment.php

I was going through some old stuff and ran across these sharpening stones that belonged to my father. They are probably from the 1950's. The light colored stone is slick as glass - it has to be a really fine grit. The darker one was black until I flattened it and removed a very deep hollow - it had been used a lot! I mostly use waterstones, and know very little about natural stones. They have been chipped a bit, but still have a good surface on them. Anyone have an idea what type of stones these might be?

Attachments

• sharpening stones.jpg
    sharpening stones.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 233

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
The top one is translucent Arkansas stone, very fine, this is what I use for my final hone.

Bottom one is India stone, medium grit.

Those two would likely be all he used.

W Burton

New User
Bill
Thanks, Mike

That's what I needed. Good to know about the translucent Arkansas stone - I can probably find a use for that myself.

The top one is translucent Arkansas stone, very fine, this is what I use for my final hone.

Bottom one is India stone, medium grit.

Those two would likely be all he used.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Those are both very nice stones for different purposes. Medium and Super Fine grits. I would love to have found them myself. They can both be very useful, especially the Translucent Arkansas. Those are highly sought after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS