Help With Finishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Barger

New User
Dan
I am looking for assistance in completing two wood projects that I have been working on. I am a novice at woodworking and my finishing skills lack perfection. I need help on finishing on a project bookcase made of MDF that needs a colored paint. A second project of similar type but with drawers. This project needs a face plate built and finished as well. DSC00118.jpgDSC00117.jpg I'm not looking for a "freebee" willing to pay for services and supplies with a craftsman.

thrt15nc

Tom
User
I've found that the article about sealing the edges with the drywall mud is a key point. I've made 8 speaker stands for our house out of MDF. Just finished a small clock from it also. Sand the fuzzy edges a little bit first, then rub some mud on them and when dry, sand them again. MDF seems to take any paint well. At least for me. I've brushed it on and sprayed it and it ends up laying flat.

Tom

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
A bunch of my shop cabinets are MDF. The trick is treating the edges. I used spackling as Tom suggested. Some tips I've seen use diluted glue but I've not tried this. I used Latex paint - primer and finish coat. If you're ever over this way you're welcome to take a look at them. I'm just off of NC55 where 540 crosses it so not far from Fuquay. You might be able to see them under the clutter.

You can kind of see the lower set here.

DSC_0002_800x532_.jpg

The cabinets were purchased and also painted. The cubbies are MDF.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS