Help with carbide tipped tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffR

New User
Jeff Ross
Well I made the mistake of letting the guy at Woodcraft show me and let me try out of of the Easy ci tools. I loved it. I can't afford the tools, so I found a video on youtube of how to make one by Capt'n Eddie. He also sent me direction. I ordered some cutter tips, then realized that I do not have all of the equipment here at my house to make them. My grinder and drill press are still at my parents and don't know when I will get them moved. I also do not know the first thing about metal working. I live in Christiansburg VA. I was wondering if there was anyone on this site or knows someone that lives in the Christiansburg/Roanoke area that would help me make these tools.

Thanks
Jeff

Robert Arrowood

New User
Robert Arrowood
If you can post a link for the youtube video?As far as making the tool find a machine shop.From what I've seen all you need to do is mill down the end of the shaft drill and tap.:icon_scra

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
What is it that you need to do?
Chances are that I've got something that can be made to work.
If you've got dimensions and drawings rather than "just so that..." specifications, things should go easily.

Here's a 22 second video on drilling and tapping.

JeffR

New User
Jeff Ross
Thanks,

I am really just looking for someone to help me grind the ends and make sure I do the drilling and taping correctly. I still don't have all of my equipment moved up here yet, so it might be a while before I can get my grinder and drill press up here. I also don't want to mess up and have to buy more materials. I have the video and pdf instructions.

Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/user/capneddie#p/u/21/K0hPl0dLDrM

http://www.youtube.com/user/capneddie#p/u/20/asbxBgGOhas

I ordered the square cutters that he suggests:

Square cutters
http://pmcwood.com/pmc_product.php?pmcID=XCT

I have the 10/24 tap
will have to pick up the #25 drill bit eddie suggests

With the round cutters I went with these. 10mm

http://www.carbidedepot.com/wood-turning.htm

I also bought the screw they recommended but not the tap. I just assumed my set would have it in it but it did not, so I will have to pick one up. I also have no idea what drill bit to buy for it.

Thanks
Jeff

JeffR

New User
Jeff Ross
If you can post a link for the youtube video?As far as making the tool find a machine shop.From what I've seen all you need to do is mill down the end of the shaft drill and tap.:icon_scra

I did not think about taking it to a machine shop. I wonder what the cost would be?

ehpoole

Ethan
Thanks,

I am really just looking for someone to help me grind the ends and make sure I do the drilling and taping correctly. I still don't have all of my equipment moved up here yet, so it might be a while before I can get my grinder and drill press up here. I also don't want to mess up and have to buy more materials. I have the video and pdf instructions.

I also bought the screw they recommended but not the tap. I just assumed my set would have it in it but it did not, so I will have to pick one up. I also have no idea what drill bit to buy for it.

Thanks
Jeff

With respect to the tap, you don't HAVE to use the same 10-24 the author used. If your set has a 10-32 that would be just fine as well (even a 3-4mm tap would likely do you just fine). All that matters is that you have a bolt of the proper size and shape to securely seat in the carbide insert. Since these are countersinked you have a bit of leeway. As for whether you use a 10-24 or 10-32 bolt, that is entirely up to you, just so long as the threads of your bolt match the threads you tap into the bar.

If you were anywhere near Anderson, SC, I would be happy to help you with everything EXCEPT turning the handle -- I don't have a lathe. I do, however, have a drill press, bench grinder, angle grinder, and both english and metric tap sets (with bits), as well as countersink bits. Hopefully someone closer to VA can chime in with an offer of assistance.

Good luck, hope your homemade gouge 'turns' out a winner! (sorry, couldn't resist)

JeffR

New User
Jeff Ross
Thanks to all for the help, Bob helped me, well actually he did it all while I watched and learned a few things, and he did an amazing job with the tools.

Thanks again Bob!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS