Help! Round Tenons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I need your input please. We are attempting to build some Deacon's Benches that have round legs, arm supports, etc..

We have the "flatwork" figured out, including some compound angle borings, BUT, we need to cut some round tenons on the ends. What is the easiest, and safest way to accomplish this. :eusa_thin We are working with 1 1/2" rounds and will probably need to cut a tenon that is 5/8-3/4" and about 1" long.

Is there a simple jig or way to do this. I KNOW that some of you talented folks have dealt with this!

Thanks in advance!

:notworthy:

ashley_phil

Phil Ashley
Corporate Member
you can do it with a jig and a router table, or you can buy a cutterhead, there's ton's on the market. a company named Bignell machine company make a lot of products that fit this bill, but they don't do much online at all. http://www.angelfire.com/pro/bignellmachine/

I saw an ad in woodworkers journal for www.lumberjacktools.com who also sell the log furniture tenon cutters.

google tenon cutters and you shoudl get some good answers and solutions.

Also you could click on rockler to your right and they probably sell them.

Mike Gilley

Mike Gilley
Corporate Member
Reggie,
FWIW, take a look at the May 2008 issue of Wood magazine (issue 183). The main project for this issue was a rocker that used round tenon joinery, and they included a short 2 page article detailing how to make them on a router table.

I actually built the rocker (2 of them) and followed the instructions to make the tenons. Was pretty straight forward, but I probably should have gone with a 5/16 round over instead of the 3/8 round over that the article use's.

Regards,
Mike

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Reggie,
FWIW, take a look at the May 2008 issue of Wood magazine (issue 183). The main project for this issue was a rocker that used round tenon joinery, and they included a short 2 page article detailing how to make them on a router table.

I actually built the rocker (2 of them) and followed the instructions to make the tenons. Was pretty straight forward, but I probably should have gone with a 5/16 round over instead of the 3/8 round over that the article use's.

Regards,
Mike

Thanks, Mike. Now, if I can just find that issue!!
:rotflm:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I wonder if you could use a disc sander for this. May need to rig a jig, but you should be able to make some nice tenons that way.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Shouldn't have gotten rid of that lathe. I heard they excel at making things round :roll::roll:

Dave:)

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Shouldn't have gotten rid of that lathe. I heard they excel at making things round :roll::roll:

Dave:)

Oh, Tom started out today with the "I'm gonna turn these things!" :nah:
About an hour later we were on our way to a local millwright to buy some 1 1/2" Spanish Cedar dowel.

I found the May issue of Wood, and it looks fairly simple using the router and a roundover bit with a stop on the fence. More next week!

Thanks for all the replies, and I'm still open to input!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS