Help Please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
So I was almost finished with my top coats on my latest project when I ran out of polyacrylic gloss. So I went to the Ace to get another can and sprayed one of my last few coats when I realized that I bought satin!!! The finish looks horrible now! What are the steps to get that layer off or am I screwed? Do I have to get all of the coats off (about 7) and start from scratch or can I just sand the top layer off somehow? What grit do you recommend etc. I had been wet sanding at 600 at this point. Please Help!!!!!! Thanks!!!!

ebarr

New User
Wayne
I would say to hit it with a fine grit, and apply your gloss coat. Should be fine.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
I thought that once you went satin there would be no turning back? Can someone confirm this one way or another? I'd love to be able to just add a new coat of gloss but I'm a bit skeptical.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I can't confirm, but I think you are ok. I know you can go gloss, and then top with satin, but I don't know if it works the other way around as satin has stuff in it to make it satin.

This sounds like a Howard Acheson question.

gordonmt

New User
Mark Gordon
You can go over the satin with gloss but you will have to repair the surface first. You will have to sand the satin finish (aggressivly) but only into the layer just below it. Fine - medium grit sandpaper should do the trick followed by fine then a final extra fine. Remove all traces of sanding dust (duuh ) then you will also have to put on more than one coat of finish to complete the repair but you should be able to bring it back.
By the way, I've been there and done that but I declined to by the t shirt.

DavidF

New User
David
Does it look horrible just because you don't like satin or has something else gone wrong with the top coat?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I've put gloss directly over satin because if you fail to shake the can of satin, what you get is gloss. DAMHIKT! Anyway it came out fine and I liked the gloss look better anyway. I always use wipe-on BTW.

Oh wait!,,,I planned it that way. Yeah, that's what happened!
Joe

J

jeff...

Flat and satin are actually gloss but have garbage in the finish. In good finishes it's usually some amount of silica sand but who knows what's in there? If it were me I would sand it off best I could with some fine sand paper. Then use some tack cloth to remove the dust build up from sanding and build it up using gloss again, but that's me. I would think you could shoot some gloss over the satin and no one would be wise to it cept you, unless of course you posted on a WW forum and told us...

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
You can spray gloss right over the satin, no problem. Hit it with the 600 grit and spray. Let it dry and it will be fine.

If you don't believe me try it anyway. All you lose is a little time and you think you have to sand it now so that is no different.

But really, it will be fine.

pslamp32

New User
Peter
You can spray gloss right over the satin, no problem. Hit it with the 600 grit and spray. Let it dry and it will be fine.

If you don't believe me try it anyway. All you lose is a little time and you think you have to sand it now so that is no different.

But really, it will be fine.

Crisis averted!!! You were right Mike and Wayne. Good news indeed and yet another lesson learned. Thanks all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS