Help me choose my first bandsaw

Status
Not open for further replies.

koslonc

New User
Jeff
I'm considering purchasing my first bandsaw. As a beginner in the hobby I don't think I need anything extravagant, but I also don't want to buy something I'm going to be frustrated with either. Having never owned a bandsaw before, I'm not sure which features I should be looking for. In additional to basic use, I know that I want to be able to do some basic re-sawing.

So far I've been looking at the Grizzly models G0555P and G0555X. Would I be happy with either of these? Other suggestions?

jahrules

New User
Greg
There are lots of grizzly fans here and they are good machines.

I personally own a jet 14DXpro and I love it. A nice 14" bandsaw with 12" resaw capacity...

granted, the motor on it is a bit underpowered for that much resaw, but how often does one need to resaw 12"? (if the answer is often, then you should be looking at an 18+ inch model with a motor that can handle it..)

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Jeff, for a beginner BS I'd look for a used 14" Delta or Jet on Craigslist, or some other forum. They're fairly common, and usually reasonably priced. They come standard w/ 6" resaw capacity, but you can add a riser block to get them up to 12". But they really weren't designed to handle that much resawing. They're good for occasional resawing, but are mainly designed for smaller jobs, and "Scrolling".

If resawing is your primary goal, I'd look for either an 18" w/ 12-13" resaw capacity, or the Rikon 10-325 w/ 13" capacity. I've got the latter and love it.

Whatever saw you ultimately purchase, throw away the original blade and get a good one. It makes a big difference.

Bill

Joe Bradshaw

New User
Joe
Jeff, if you are into used, I have a Delta 14" that I will let go for $350. It has the Carter blade tensioning setup on it. Shoot me a PM.
Joe

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
FWIW - I bought the G0555P recently - my first "real" bandsaw. I got the 6" riser block to go with it and have done resawing up to 8" in oak and black walnut with no problems.

C.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I too have the Grizzly G0555P and am very happy with it. I occasionally wish it would cut more than 6" but then I can always add the riser block later if I decide it becomes more than occasionally. So far the few times I've needed to cut over 6", I've reverted to an old reliable Disston D7 Rip Saw.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS