Hello & Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnW

New User
John
Hello, my name is John Whittaker. I was referred to NC Woodworker by Ed Nelson (Thanks Ed) and had the pleasure of meeting a group of you guys at a breakfast several weeks ago. I live in Charlotte, NC and enjoy woodworking so I guess I qualify here. But judging by the work I see posted, I'll be doing more learning than teaching on this site.

I grew into woodworking gradually over the years. My father was a finish carpenter before WWII and mom liked to refinish furniture. So I got "basic training" from my parents. I'm relatively new to serious hobby woodworking and have equipped a modest garage shop with most of the basic tools. My woodworking interest include making furniture for my adult kids, and what I call "artistic wood". I'm developing mixed media projects that will incorporate wood with a combination of glass, tile and/or clay. I am also building my first guitar from a Martin kit. It's almost finished and I'm anxious to hear it for the first time.

I'm married to a wonderful woman who has always supported my woodworking habit. In fact, the guitar kit was a surprise present from her. We are empty nesters with two children (boy/girl)...and currently busy planning daughters wedding this April. We moved to Charlotte from West Virginia almost 20 years ago. North Carolina was a choice. We decided that the chemical valleys of WV was no place to raise our children so for 2-years we spent weekends traveling to different cities and states in order to pick our final "home". We chose the Raleigh and Charlotte areas. The first place I got a job was to be our new home. We have never regretted our decision.

Other than playing guitar & woodworking I also like to go kayaking & fishing. (Rigged a kayak for fishing and take it out on lakes and coastal back waters....Great way to relax) I also play a little tennis & golf...very little. My job allows me travel across NC & SC so don't be surprised if I pop in for a visit sometime. Well...now that you probably know too much about me... I'm looking forward to knowing more about ya'll. Thanks for inviting me to join NC Woodworker.

DavidF

New User
David
Welcome John; glad you joined up. People here are friendly and above all willing to help out a fellow member.

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Welcome John! Great meeting at breakfast the other weekend. Didn't realize we were both Kanawha River refugees:-D (Charleston, St. Albans)
Nothin' could be finer than to move to North Carolina! Thank goodness my folks got smart when I was a little one.
Mark

Toddler

New User
Todd
Hey John,

Welcome and Hello. You are braver than me, trying to build an acoustic guitar. I'm just trying to make an electric.

Todd

M

McRabbet

Welcome to the site, John. Glad to have you as a new member and we look forward to your input and questions.

Rob

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Welcome John, that's quite an intro. I feel that I know you already :-D I am very glad that you could join our group of friendly dust makers. Don't be a stranger, and post some pics of that guitar and other things that you've made, if you have any.
See you around!!

Dave:)

JohnW

New User
John
Mark, you nailed it...I lived in St Albans for 20 years. Wife was born there. And I agree, your parents were smart and you were fortunate. ;-)

And Dave...
If you are suggesting that I talk...errr type a lot. You nailed it.:-D Thanks for the kind welcome and I'll post some pics as soon as I figure it out.

FWIW...I've spent some time looking through this forum and you folks do some incredible work. Hope I am worthy.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Welcome John!
Impressive resume :lol:
I'm positive I could learn something from you . . . so keep talking and typing :mrgreen:

Roger

cskipper

Cathy
Welcome John - glad you found us. I spent 4 years in WV on my way to NC - that was quite enough. I know you'll find lots of good information and lots of friendly folks here. And, you will hear it over and over - we LOVE Pictures - no pictures it didn't happpen.....

DaveO

New User
DaveO
And Dave...
If you are suggesting that I talk...errr type a lot. You nailed it.:-D Thanks for the kind welcome and I'll post some pics as soon as I figure it out.

For me to say something like that would be like the pot calling the kettle black...remember I'm the one with just under 6K posts :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I do look forward to your participation, we need a new top poster :icon_thum :icon_thum

Dave:)

MikeH

New User
Mike
John welcome to NCWW!! It was great meeting you at breakfast a couple weekends ago and I look forward to seeing some of your projects. I'd like to see pics of that guitar you told me about. :)

J

jeff...

Welcome and glad you joined. I think you'll find a great group of folks here :icon_thum

JohnW

New User
John
First attempt at posting a pic. Hopefully you can see a few here. This is an acoustic guitar kit purchased from Martin. It is a dreadnought D16 bracing pattern. For sentimental reasons, I added herringbone binding and some other inlay details trying to reproduce a vintage D-18 from the mid 70's. You can see the sound board's underside showing the final bracing. The spindle clamps, which were made from an oak dowel, cork and carriage bolts, are used to glue the sides to the top and back. The sides & back are Brazilian rosewood laminates. Braz is fairly rare these days and the veneer was available & affordable (a relative term)

I'll be spraying on a finish soon and then doing the final set-up. I choose to use a water based finish instead lacquer. Target Coatings 5100 filler & USL. I would like to post a tutorial or at least a diary of this build someday...but don't know if I'll ever find the time.

Again, many thanks for all the warm welcomes.
John W

Attachments

• 100_0900-10.jpg
    100_0900-10.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 100_0894-8.jpg
    100_0894-8.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 128
  • 100_1062.jpg
    100_1062.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 125

JohnW

New User
John
Couple more pics showing the inlay bindings and neck. The neck & bridge are not attached yet...just there to show how it will look. They get installed after the finish is applied.

Note to Todd...the last pis shows a tool I made to dress the ends of the frets. It helps put a very consistent taper to the fret ends and is an important step in getting them smooth for a finger board that is comfortable to play. If you're interested, I can send you details.

Attachments

• 100_1272-21.jpg
    100_1272-21.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 130
  • 100_1289-25.jpg
    100_1289-25.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 100_1068-19.jpg
    100_1068-19.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 127

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Welcome to the site, John. Happy to have you join us. You'll find a great group of folks here that love to help and look at pictures:eusa_danc. Wow what a nice guitar great work :icon_thum :icon_thum Enjoy the site :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS