Headboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
In response to a 'post or perish' banner I've started getting at the top of my page, I decided to build this for one of my girls.

Headboard1.jpg

cskipper

Cathy
What type of joinery method did you use for the vertical slats (though I'm sure that's not what they are called)?

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Glad you had a safe & fun trip...

To answer your Q.
First plow a groove from end to end in the bottom of the top rail and the same in the top of the pillow rail 1/2 to 3/4 deep. Cut a bunch of slats to length, place them in the grooves, decide on spacing (gap has to be < 4" for child safety), measure the gap and cut spacers (top & bottom) to fit allowing them to be a bit proud. After the glue is dry, (a)level the spacers with a pattern bit. Put the slats back in and stain/paint to suit.
Operational Note:
A lot of glue is going in a one time, so I suggest that after(a) glue up the pillow rail with the top rail tightly dry fitted.
After an hour, glue in the bottoms of the slats with the top rail tightly dry fitted.
After an hour, turn it upside down and glue the top rail and slats together.

If you're working alone, as I am usually, blue tape a framing square to the pillow rail to maintain square awareness.
You didn't ask, but the top rail joints are squared shouldered tenons. Easy with a WoodRat/corner chisel, but possible with a router table. In the bad ole days it was all chisel work.

Joe

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Joe, that looks great. I am looking forward to making a bed soon for my daughter. Might have to[strike] steal[/strike] borrow your design and techinque ;-)
Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Joe, that looks great. I am looking forward to making a bed soon for my daughter. Might have to[strike] steal[/strike] borrow your design and techinque ;-)
Dave:)

You are more than welcome to; this was from scrap poplar, hence the top rail layout.
Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors