Have I sucked the Magic from the Dark side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidF

New User
David
I hope I haven't sucked the magic from the Dark Side by introducing a). CAD drawings and Concept drawings and b). Flat wood joinery!

Here it is anyway. I call it "The Wedding Bowl" The union of my Nephew Christopher to Holly. The White wood is Holly, the red wood is "Blood wood"

A tricky little job, but it turned out ok. I now need to get it to England!!

Both halves turned independently and then Dovetailed together..

bowl_blank_2_reverse_colour.jpg

IMG_0376.JPG

IMG_03641.JPG

IMG_03672.JPG

IMG_03681.JPG

The finish I finally selected to avoid colouring the holly was "Claphams" Mineral oil and Bee's wax. From Woodworkers supply.

Thanks for looking.

woodArtz

New User
Bob
My brain just exploded... That is absolutely amazing work! I have so many questions, I don't know where to begin. I'm just plain gobsmacked!!! :eek:

So, how did you turn the halves separately?

:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
IMG_0376.JPG

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:
:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Can you say 2010 calendar?

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra:nah::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon::swoon:

That's it. I'm moving to England.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Beautiful!!! Just beautiful!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Now, from my overactive brain.

Did you do this by (1) edge gluing alternating colored pieces using sliding dovetails then (2) glue up a stack of these and (3) turn the stack?

While it certainly would not fit your scheme and purpose but I suppose you could start with four alternating colored squares or even alternating color pie-shaped wedges (appropriate number of wedges - a multiple of the number of colors used, cut at the correct angles) as long as you cut it apart straight thru and did the sliding dovetails on each cut one at a time for each layer?

You are killing me- another thing to attempt and put on my ever growing "to do" list.

woodrat

New User
Archie
David,

For a while I had been considering getting a lathe and doing some turning.

Now, I believe I'll just keep on with my flat stuff.

Man, that's just plain awesome!!!!

I'm green with envy. Thank you for posting that.

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
:wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile::wsmile:

Artistry David!!! Pure magic.

I have never seen anything quite like it and I agree that the 2010 calendar beckons it.

Gorgeous.

Now you need to tell us how'd ya do it!!!:icon_scra:icon_scra:icon_scra

Beautiful work.

Wayne

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
David, this is truly a masterful piece of design. My initial thoughts of how this was accomplished were already posted by Alan. Was he correct? You've got to tell us!!!

If you don't mind me asking, was this an original concept of yours? If so, I think that you should submit it to American Woodturner (The Journal of the American Association of Woodturners). It IS that creative. Well done sir.

DavidF

New User
David
Beautiful!!! Just beautiful!!!:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Now, from my overactive brain.

Did you do this by (1) edge gluing alternating colored pieces using sliding dovetails then (2) glue up a stack of these and (3) turn the stack?

While it certainly would not fit your scheme and purpose but I suppose you could start with four alternating colored squares or even alternating color pie-shaped wedges (appropriate number of wedges - a multiple of the number of colors used, cut at the correct angles) as long as you cut it apart straight thru and did the sliding dovetails on each cut one at a time for each layer?

You are killing me- another thing to attempt and put on my ever growing "to do" list.

You got it Alan! I was kidding about the two separate halves! - sorry....

IMG_03581.JPG

IMG_03591.JPG

IMG_03601.JPG

IMG_03611.JPG

IMG_03621.JPG

One of the trickier parts was keeping the alignment between the levels in the stack. I made a glueing jig that kept the stack in alignment while being glued. I did the glue up in 4 stages so that I could exert enough pressure on the stack. That is other than producing 5 perfect 10" long sliding dovetails!!

DavidF

New User
David
The other adrenalin rush was knowing when to stop at the bottom. At any time I might have exposed the holly dovetail coming through the bloodwood.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
That is splenderifourous ( I had to make up a word because no words exist to describe how incredible that is!) Just crazy:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap.

:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do I never have enough clamps

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
AWESOME, David. Very creative, and great choice of woods. The end result is amazing and will be a keepsake for a long time to come.

DavidF

New User
David
David, this is truly a masterful piece of design. My initial thoughts of how this was accomplished were already posted by Alan. Was he correct? You've got to tell us!!!

If you don't mind me asking, was this an original concept of yours? If so, I think that you should submit it to American Woodturner (The Journal of the American Association of Woodturners). It IS that creative. Well done sir.

I have seen something similar before and that was in an article about making a bowl from a board. Something along the lines " real economy". The problem with that method is that it severely restricts the design you can have for the shape. So as a design concept I can't say I invented it. I was very pleased with the execution though. It is a design that invites close examination and therein lies the problem!! people are bound to pick it up and look closely....Aghhhhh

Tar Heel

New User
Stuart
Oh my goodness, the bar just got set higher.....MUCH HIGHER. That is amazing work David, really amazing. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

jerrye

New User
Jerry
It is a design that invites close examination and therein lies the problem!! people are bound to pick it up and look closely....Aghhhhh
Wonderful bowl David!

I know you know this, but I gotta say it anyway.

1. The only people who have to be satisfied are Christopher and Holly.

2. If anyone else doesn't like it, see #1. This includes the worst critic of your work, who is...?:slap:

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
As a woodworker I say fantastic work! As a non-darksider I say Wow, how is this possible? What a great job!

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS