Have I sucked the Magic from the Dark side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
David, bloody good, old chap! Marvelous, actually!

If'n THAT ain't calendar quality, I'll never see it!

:icon_thum:icon_thum:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

:wsmile:

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
In looking at the how to pics, I noticed a HF 34706 lathe in the background. Assuming this was turned on that lathe, this is proof positive that the skill and talent of the craftsman is far more important than the tool. used in creating a work of art. Unfortunately, a lot of folks apparently don't understand that.

Yes I am starting to realize that more and more and time goes on, and wish I would have bought other tools, less expensive when I did have money. Now all money gone :gar-Cr. Have to save for a least 6 months plus, at $20 a month.

Gary K

New User
Gary
That is [strike]one of[/strike] the finest example of craftsmanship I have seen. Precision joinery, excellent form and finish, striking on every level.

Well done David! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

DavidF

New User
David
Really nice work!!! Did any body else notice that there were TWO(2) bowels in the pictures???? The first picture was a different one from the rest. It has a thicker top band and a very different curve. Is the first one a practice piece?

Bob, that first bowl is a computer rendering of the concept design! It was easier to make than the second one!!

DavidF

New User
David
In looking at the how to pics, I noticed a HF 34706 lathe in the background. Assuming this was turned on that lathe, this is proof positive that the skill and talent of the craftsman is far more important than the tool. used in creating a work of art. Unfortunately, a lot of folks apparently don't understand that.

Yes it was, although weighted down with a humongous box full of wood mounted on the shelf!

DavidF

New User
David
Wow,

Simply Amazing! Beautiful, Great, Grand, Awesome, Brilliant!
:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

So Did you turn all the wood inside? I mean I saw this article about a guy cutting out the middle of his pieces to be able to make more bowls from the material?

Thanks for posting such a beautiful piece!

Yes, unfortunately! there is 6 bd ft in there at a cost of about $65! the majority is now in the compost!!

DavidF

New User
David
Well done, nice job not smearing the Bloodwood into the Holly during finishng. Any tricks to pass along on that front?

Ah, now in there lays a tale! The out side was not a problem at all. I used the HF close quarter drill (Thanks for the tip DaveO) and the klingspor scalloped disks and that sanded just fine. When I came to the inside it was different story and caused much grief! I did see some red staining of the holly on the inside and eventually concluded that the problem was that the dust couldn't escape and was being ground in to the holly. I then hand scraped the inside clean again!!!! as best as I could. Then continued sanding with a continuous jet of air from the compressor aimed at the sandpaper. This definitely helped. There is still a tiny amount of staining inside which pi##$es me off no end, but Carol persuaded me not to scrap it!!!!

Before applying the finish I made sure the Bloodwood was blown out with compressed air and buffed dry. Then gently applied the finish trying to cover the Holly first and let that dry a little before doing the Bloodwood. By being very careful and gentle with that first coat, the second one didn't cause any more staining. As I say, it isn't spotless inside, but not unacceptable. It was the sanding that caused the problem, even hand sanding did the same if the dust wasn't immediately removed as it was produced.

M

McRabbet

Superb work, David! It is a beautiful design and skillfully crafted. I am intrigued by the center of the bottom -- is the perfect two-wood circle just a deeper cut into a final layer above the dovetail joining them? If not, then it looks like a circular pair was inlaid. A stellar gift, for sure.

DavidF

New User
David
Superb work, David! It is a beautiful design and skillfully crafted. I am intrigued by the center of the bottom -- is the perfect two-wood circle just a deeper cut into a final layer above the dovetail joining them? If not, then it looks like a circular pair was inlaid. A stellar gift, for sure.

You guys are so sharp! nothing gets past you....

Yes, it is cut back a fraction. The reason being that when it was simply allowed to follow the shape in the bottom of the bowl, a) it was not absolutely, perfectly round, and b) the shadow of the glue line showed on the holly. I went in on the perimeter with a 1/8" parting tool and then flattened the bottom of the recess. VERY carefully so as not to go too far and expose the internal dovetail underneath the surface of the Bloodwood.

jeese, do I have to give all the secrets away:rotflm:

gritz

New User
Robert
First segmented bowl I ever saw that i truly liked. I have seen some lovely work, and well done, but this stirred my blood.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Yes, unfortunately! there is 6 bd ft in there at a cost of about $65! the majority is now in the compost!!

Ouch, I am sorry! :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead: Least it's helping the compost, wow that's some expensive compost you've got. Bet you could sell it like gold!:nah:

CaptnA

Andy
Corporate Member
Sweet~
that is an interesting concept with great woods that really compliment each other. The execution is fantastic!
I've joined with bloodwood and holly on a pen and can imagine the problems you had on the inside of that.
What a great marriage of skills to celebrate the marriage of their hearts.

DavidF

New User
David
Wow! thanks for all the really nice comments, I never believed that this project would strike such a cord with everybody! I enjoyed giving the secrets to how it was done and the problems faced just as much as enjoyed reading your praise for a job well done - Thanks so much, it means a great deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS