Harpsichord Project Part 7 - The Lower Braces

Status
Not open for further replies.

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Hi all,

In this Part we will add interior braces that will stiffen the case and make it strong enough to withstand the tension of the 102 strings that we will soon install. We’ll be adding two sets of interior braces – the upper braces and the lower braces. In addition we’ll add a front case molding and two keyboard runners. Let’s do it!

The front case molding contains two pieces. In the first photo the front piece is glued onto the front of the case Bottom and fits into the bottom of the rabbets we cut into the front end of the spine and cheek. This piece is ¾” tall and ½” thick.

BRACE1.JPG

The second piece is glued to the Bottom and to the rear of piece #1. It is 1 ¼” tall and ½” thick with a profile routed into its top edge. The next photo shows piece #2 being glued in.

BRACE2.JPG

Next we will install keyboard runners at each end of the keyboard cavity (the area just behind the case front molding we just installed). The keyboard stiles will rest on these runners. They are ½” thick by 2 ¼” wide and are clamped from above. The next 2 photos show this glueup.

BRACE3.JPG

BRACE3B.JPG

Next we will install the Upper and Lower Bellyrails. In the next photo the Lower Belly Rail (labeled B) has already been installed. This rail is glued directly over the joint between the rear part of the Bottom and the front part of the Bottom and reinforces this joint. It also serves as the rear of the keyboard cavity. The photo shows the Upper Belly Rail being glued in. The front edge of the soundboard will be glued to the top of this rail. It’s top edge is exactly 1 7/8” below the top edge of the case. More on this later.

BRACE4.jpg

A partial rabbet and a dado have been cut into the Upper Belly Rail before its installation. The next photo shows this dado which will accept the rear end of the lower register guide (I know you don’t know what that is yet but it will become clear when we build and install the registers in a later post – stay with me).

BRACE5.JPG

The next photo shows the partial rabbet cut into the left-most 6 inches of the Upper Belly Rail. The Upper Belly Rail is 11/16” thick. When we glue the soundboard in we want the upper end of the soundboard to be as flexible as possible. The rabbet allows us to glue the soundboard to a smaller area rather than the entire 11/16” thereby giving the soundboard a little more flexibility in this area.

BRACE6.JPG

The next photo shows the remaining four bottom braces that have already been fit to the case sides. They are thinned down in the middle to save weight but retain their full 3” height at the ends where they will be glued to the case sides.

BRACE7.JPG

The bottom braces are glued to the Bottom and the case sides with screws. They’re placed in their proper position and their profile is drawn onto the Bottom and Sides. Holes are drilled in the Bottom and Sides using the drawn profiles as guides. Then glue is applied and the braces are screwed in place from underneath the Bottom and from the outside surfaces of the sides.

BRACE8.JPG

The next photo shows the Belly Rails and bottom braces after installation.

BRACE9.JPG

A line must be drawn all around the inside perimeter of the case at exactly the same height as the top surface of the Upper Belly Rail (1 7/8” below the top surfaces of the case). Strips of wood called soundboard liners will be glued into the case with their top surfaces flush with this line creating a ledge around the perimeter of the case for the soundboard to rest on. The next photo shows this line at the bentside to cheek joint.

BRACE10.JPG

Next we install the soundboard liners. Remember back in Part 4 when we made the bentside on the bentside jig? We bent another piece at the same time. This piece is the front part of the bentside soundboard liner (usually called the 8’ hitchpin rail). In case you forgot what it looks like – here it is.

BRACE11.JPG

While we will be installing soundboard liners on the cheek, bentside, tail, and spine, only the bentside and tail liners will have hitchpins driven into them. These hitchpins will have the far ends of the strings looped around them and will be subjected to a lot of tension. As a result, these liners MUST be well glued. Many harpsichords have failed because the tension of the strings pulled on the hitchpins with such force that the soundboard liners began to pull away from the case. This, of course, destroys the tuning and is a fatal flaw requiring extensive rebuilding to correct. Better to get it right in the first place. The next photo shows the curved part of the bentside liner being glued onto the bentside.

BRACE12.JPG

We cannot use screws for clamps because they might interfere with the hitchpins when we drive them into the liners. Even if we removed the screws after the glue dried there would be a hole in the liner. If a hitchpin were driven into one of these holes it wouldn’t be held tightly enough to resist the string tension. So we use clamps instead and rely on the glue alone (which is more than strong enough for the job). The next photo shows the tail liner being glued in. We’ve skipped the rear section of the bentside liner for the time being.

BRACE13.JPG

Now we will install the rear portion of the bentside liner which is cut at an angle and butts up against the tail liner and locks it in place. The tail liner is subjected to more tension than any other liner and this “locking” helps it resist being pulled forward.

BRACE14.JPG

The next photo shows the cheek liner being glued in. It butts up agains the curved portion of the bentside liner and locks it in place. The small notch in the front end of this liner will accept another rail glued to the bottom of the soundboard.

BRACE15.JPG

Finally, we install the spine liner which also butts up against the left end of the tail liner and locks it in place. The spine liner will have no strings attached to it and, therefore, is not placed under tension. All we have to do is get it installed at the right height as its only function is to provide a ledge for the soundboard to sit on.

BRACE16.JPG

That concludes the installation of the bottom liners. Here’s what the harpsichord looks like now.

BRACE17.JPG

That’s it for now .... I’m going to sleep.

See you next time,

Ernie

Part 1 - The Keyboard Part 2 -Keyboard con't. Part 3 - Keyboard con't. Part 4 - The Case (Bentside) Part 5 - Case Bottom Part 6 - Case Sides Part 7 - The Lower Braces Part 8 - Case Finished Part 9 - Building the Registers Part 10 - The Stand Part 11 - Jackrail & Moldings
Part 12 - The Music Desk
Part 13 - Building the Bench

Last edited:
M

McRabbet

Another great post, Ernie. It is beginning to look like an instrument! Cannot believe how fast you are doing this build -- how many hours so far? Too late tonight to answer; I'm headed for the rack, too!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Ernie, I been watching this story from the beginning. I never imagained the work that went into one of these. Thanks.

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
You continue to do a fantastic job documenting your great work!!! I need to stop by and see this first hand.

Question- while glue only is more than strong enough to hold much of the harpsichord together, with today's excellent glues and epoxies, how did the original builders put one of these together? With only hide glue available, did they use more mechanical fasteners and/or different joinery?

ErnieM

Ernie
Corporate Member
Rob

Thanks, I'm enjoying it. Don't be fooled by the pace of construction. Things are about to slow down BIG TIME. Not because I'll be working less but because, once the case is finished, the next few steps are exacting and the progress is v e r y s l o w.

Scott

I try to think of it as a series of small projects that can be completed in a reasonably short time. It helps me keep my sanity.

Joe

The angle is important but not absolutely critical. Each builder has his/her own idea of how the bracing should be installed. As you can see in the photo, the long lower brace is angled much more than the others. This is how Ruckers did it when he built the original instrument. I've never done it this way before but I'm trying to stay close to the original so I went with it.
In the next part, the upper braces go in. In this case, I added a brace that wasn't in the original because the original instrument's case distorted rather badly - something I want to avoid.

Charles

Thanks. I'm finding that describing the process is making me re-think the way I do things. This is good - it's easy to get into a rut when you stop thinking.

Alan

The original builders used hot hide glue exclusively. Their case sides were usually joined with miter joints. The only mechanical fasteners they used were cut nails which remained in place after the glue set.

Stop by anytime. Hopefully I'll get to visit your fantastic shop first.

Thanks all,

Ernie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors