hardware storage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I need to sort out my hardware, too many boxes around, can't find screws or nails when I need them.

You know the drill...

So I'm thinking two 24x48 inch cabinets on french cleats so they can be moved if needed.

3/4 birch ply shell with 1/4 birch ply dividers and drawers.

Something along these lines.

Question is how deep to make them?

6 inches? 8 inches? 12 inches? My first thought was 6 but now leaning toward 8.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 7253CF88-0D21-4A68-B7FC-61B43FD1E77D.jpg
    7253CF88-0D21-4A68-B7FC-61B43FD1E77D.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 303

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Mike, Sorry I can't add to the discussion on depth, but since fasteners can get a little heavy, have you considered going smaller to cut the overall weight? A little more modular and portable might come in handy.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I might want to do something like that eventually, so very interested in this discussion. Currently my screws and fasteners are mostly stored in those ziplock containers that are sold in grocery stores for storing food stuffs. They are cheap and stack well - they also have a place to mark what is inside them.

The other advantage is that they are portable and can be brought next to the project you're working on. An advantage and disadvantage as I sometimes forget where I last put them - did I mention I'm somewhat disorganized. When I am organized these work well and stack well - I just have to sort through the stack to find the size I'm looking for.

Please let us know what you finally decide as a solution.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Weight is why I ask 6 or 8 inches deep.

The drawers will slide out without runners,
I have a toolbox with drawers made this way and they have held up well for 30 years.

The bottom two large openings will be doors for box storage.

I can can build a small tote to hold a few drawers for off site work.

Jim M.

Woody
Corporate Member
How about making a sample drawer of each size, then choose the one which best suits your needs.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
My storage boxes range from 1 1/2 to 4" deep

I use a Lista cabinet that I was given. The drawers are 24 by 24 and have super strong slides - more than 200 lb rating

The inserts are from a third party I found on Ebay - search Lista drawer inserts

Here are some photos - I have ten such drawers and need more
The blue inserts are 1 1/2" deep. The red ones are 3" deep

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2796.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 271
  • IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 277

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
I think you'll find 6" to be plenty deep for a single compartment drawer. If you go 8" I would divide each drawer into 2 compartments. The other thing is make the drawers shallow enough to get your fingers all the way to the bottom. Think about the size of your hands and getting a single brad off the bottom.

HMH

Heath Hendrick
Senior User
Similar to Phil above, I've had great success w/ surplus card catalog filing cabinets from NCSU. They routinely pop up on the State surplus sales for ~$50 or so, as technology has long since made the old-school card catalog somewhat obsolete.

On the (2) I have, the drawers ~18"x24 full extension, and rated at 150# per drawer. I have 1 drawer dedicated to wood screws, 1 for metal, 1 for bolts, 1 for nails, etc. The dividers that bisect the drawers are sized almost perfectly for the width of a box of nails, as well as those plastic screw bins as it turns out.

Good luck!

McRabbet

Rob
Corporate Member
Mike,

Here's another approach. I use several of these Store House Storage Boxes from Harbor Freight (currently on sale with a coupon for $5.99 each) that hold quite a lot of stuff. You can easily make a cabinet with simple 3/16" tempered hardboard shelves and slide these into place. I use a couple of them for screws, bolts, electrical connectors and fuses in my travel trailer.

94.jpg

ck1999

Chris
User
My mother in law makes alot of chocolate cakes. I have been stock piling the cocoa containers for while. They work great for holding hardware. However, like Bill mentioned trying to get something out near the bottom isn't easy. Shallower would be better. I have drawers that are the same height as containers and also a tote that holds about 16 I think. This way I can carry what's needed.

Chris

koslonc

New User
Jeff
I made a rolling cabinet for the Harbor Freight containers like Rob was describing. It holds 10 shallow containers and 6 deep containers.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Rolling Hardware Cart.jpg
    Rolling Hardware Cart.jpg
    260.1 KB · Views: 272

Graywolf

Board of Directors, President
Richard
Staff member
Corporate Member
So Mike I'd think like others here that you'll be happier with the Six inch drawer and the shallow part is important getting your fingers in and out of a fastener box can be a hassle.good luck and I look forward to seeing your results.

ck1999

Chris
User
Jeff,

I have been looking at building something like that. How do you like those bins? I was looking at the stanley ones but the sections seemed small. I was looking at the 014725 trays. I was looking more for nails, screws, etc.

Chris

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
I like these good ideas. Lots of my screws are stored in the boxes they came in, which can be a durability issue.

Bumpy

New User
Frank
Look on Amazon, you can purchase pre-fab nut and bolt bins , 72 compartment for around 125.00.

Thee is an enormous amount of weight when you start filling the bins. Not sure a French cleat will hold up when full.

I utilized a wood base with 2- 72 compartment bins. It is attached to the wall, but not "hung" on the wall.

Good luck.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
This has to hang on the wall, I don’t have room for anything on the floor, I don’t have room for a roll around.
i have some plastic bins and they are ok but starting to crack from age and less than ten years old.

i guess I’ll go with the 6 inch depth.

the bottom of the case will be sitting on a brick ledge so I can’t see a problem with weight.

NOTW

Notw
Senior User
I made a cabinet similar to what Jeff did that holds 6 of the harbor freight organizers that hangs on a french cleat, works well for me

koslonc

New User
Jeff
Jeff,

I have been looking at building something like that. How do you like those bins? I was looking at the stanley ones but the sections seemed small. I was looking at the 014725 trays. I was looking more for nails, screws, etc.

Chris

Chris, I like the bins - especially when you consider the price. If you buy several of them, you can mix and match the various sized compartments across multiple bins to create the configuration you need. My only complaint is the big sticker they put on the clear lid as it obscures the contents in the bin. The stickers are not easy to remove cleanly.

I use about 6 of the bins for various size nails and screws. The rest hold other miscellaneous hardware and small parts.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
My cabinets (from Phil S.) are on cleats (metal strips) and loaded up with fasteners. Other than some sag in the particle board shelves, they don't seem to have any difficulty holding all the weight.

attachment.php
attachment.php

I also added the jar storage underneath. Jar lids are screwed to the underside of the small boards that slide into the 'T' shaped holders that are screwed to the underside of the cabinets.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20171006_090530.jpg
    20171006_090530.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 254
  • 20171006_090543.jpg
    20171006_090543.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 242
  • 20171006_090556.jpg
    20171006_090556.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 20171006_090614.jpg
    20171006_090614.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 228

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like you operate on the same theory I do. When I need a screw I buy a box, next time I have it.

Now I need more space to sort them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors