Hand-made hand plane...

Status
Not open for further replies.

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I made this for a friend of mine, a carpenter, who is leaving the area...

b405a6615a99455ba8a6c3f1946adf71.jpg

9114d336ca8291a14562de8286fad3b7.jpg

I made one for me a while back and love the thing. David Marks made one on woodworks and I came up with a design for my needs. I made the blade from some 3/16" x 3/4" steel stock, and used wood laying the shop floor (that I kept tripping on) for the rest.

Fun to build and tune.

4yanks

New User
Willie
Nice work. I'm sure your friend will love it. I enjoy making my own tools too. there is a great sense of satisfaction in using a tool you have made.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Very cool! You get 2 gold stars for Scrap Wood Use!

I'm a bit confused, and not for the first time in all my years.....

What kind of plane is it? Looks almost like a jointer with a scurb blade.

Jim

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
As far as the type of plane, I think I will call it a hybrid. A cross between scrub, jointer, and mantle or shelf.

I didn't measure anything on it but I know the blade I made is 3/4" wide and the sole is around 12 inches, which is good for jointing thin stuff. It also looks great on the mantle or shelf. :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Chris I moved your thread to the Handtool forum because it's a hand tool. And a nice one at that. I want to see the curlies that come out of it. Where did you get the blade stock and do you have any idea of it's hardness??

Dave:)

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I actually made the blade. I went to lowes and got some 3/4" wide steel stock for runners on my pannel cutter. I ended up not using them, so I cut one at 45, sharpened it, and built the plane around it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors