hand held planer

Status
Not open for further replies.

daver828

New User
David
How accurate are these hand held electric planers? I've seen carpenters use them to trim doors to fit, usually after cutting with a circular saw. But I was just wondering if they have ever been used to planes edge joints for butt joining?

RayH

New User
Ray
My (very dated) experience with handheld electric planes is that they would not work well for jointing. Two main reasons: 1. The input/output surfaces are too short, and parallel, to obtain a true flat surface; and 2. The lack of a 90-degree fence makes it hit or miss in getting the edge perpendicular to the face of the board. I have used them to shave door edges, but wound up finishing with a sander to get the proper visual alignment.

Hope this is helpful.
Ray

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
depends.... the cheap little ones at the BORG prolly not. a good one like the makita 1100 [no longer made] I have can do it but... a good handheld door plane will cost as much as a decent joiner so unless you have other uses for one it isn't worth the investment.

Ray Martin

New User
Ray
My experience is about the same. I have used them to plane doors and if I'm really careful, I can do a decent job. As stated, most of them won't have a fence, and if they do it will be a short one; not too accurate. The whole tool is short and so you can't really do much in the way of jointing. Consider a jointing plane... they are in the neighborhood of 22 inches long.

I'd use them for what they are meant for... trim carpentry.

For smaller work (shorter boards), there are decent jointers at reasonable prices. Delta, Jet, Porter-Cable and others have benchtop models that start around $150.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I have one that gets used very seldom. The one thing I found it good for is smoothing down a chainsawed wood surface. If you make outdoor furniture out of logs, slabs, etc, it would be a handy tool. It takes a lot off in a hurry, but is not an accurate tool.
The one I have is a DeWalt, and no hose known to man will fit the exhaust port, so it is definitely an outdoor tool, unless you want an entire room covered in chips!

Go

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
Re: hand held planer
My experience is about the same. I have used them to plane doors and if I'm really careful, I can do a decent job. As stated, most of them won't have a fence, and if they do it will be a short one; not too accurate. The whole tool is short and so you can't really do much in the way of jointing.

+1
The other problem I've had with handheld planers & doors is most doors nowadays use finger jointed rail & styles with butterfly skin veneer for the face. The grain on the rails is never aligned so when you plane the door you get tear-out. The fence is often the weakling too and when one keeps it held against the door face for angle consistency it will leave marks or an unsightly stain from the aluminum in the fence.
Insofar as using it to make glue joints - only for short boards & with a SHARP bit & if I were >200 miles from my floor model.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I use mine to do quick Chamfers on long edges.

just clamp to bench and use V groove in middle of platen at a rough 45deg angle and run the tool down the length of edge. Clean up with sander.

Faster than setting up router bit, and the jointer

Very fast and easy!

hope this is useful!

matt

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
From one Matt to another... Great idea!

I use mine to do quick Chamfers on long edges.

just clamp to bench and use V groove in middle of platen at a rough 45deg angle and run the tool down the length of edge. Clean up with sander.

Faster than setting up router bit, and the jointer

Very fast and easy!

hope this is useful!

matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS