hand cut 18 inch x 10 inch x 40 foot mortise

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpowell

New User
Chuck
When I read the title my first thought was "ditch". I still have vivid memories of a few mortises from my childhood...not fond memories mind you, just vivid. :rotflm: :rotflm:

But, now that I am "dad", and have a young mortiser to help me, I understand the concept completely.

Chuck

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
:rotflm:
Okay, probably not what you were thinking. Me and the boy were taking a break and I thought I would post a picture of today's project. We were trenching to run power out to one of my latest WW projects: a 12' x 15' storage shed. Now I can get all the lawn mowers, bicycles, and other non-WWing stuff out of my shop. :icon_thum

Alright, the boy says it's time to go back to work. Gotta' go....
J

thats not a mortice.:nah: thats a rabbet!:gar-La; me thinks you need a better strait edge or the bearings in your hand powered router are shot!:rotflm:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You know they have machines that will do this...you need a DirtRat or even better a Festool Dirtex...because the dirt collection is far superior.

Dave:)

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Please tell me that you aren't going to bury some UF cable in that ditch. Run PVC conduit, minimum of 3/4". You can pull NM cable through pipe under ground, just as long as both ends terminate above ground and in enclosures. A 3/4 will handle 3 #6 THHN, and a # 10 THHN ground, which will feed a 60 Amp sub panel. A 1" will hold three #4's, and a #8.

Glennbear

Glenn
I do not envy you with this project, I uttered more than a few choice words when cutting the mortise for the feed to my shop and that was only 11 feet !!! :gar-La; You are an inspiration though for what can be done if you have the fortitude, eventually I will be running power to my shed and that is a 50 foot run :confused_

Ken Massingale

New User
Ken
Oh that brings back bad memories!
Back in July/August in the middle of the drought and temps in the upper 90's, I decided to run a water line to the old shop. I also decided to do it by hand, just to prove to myself that I still could.
100 feet, 10 inches deep. had to use a pick and maddock, it was like concrete. I finished it in about a week.
About 2 weeks later the LOML and I were sitting on the back porch in our rockers. She has helped me with stuff in the shop and is familiar with how cramped it was. Sooooo, as I'm still sore fron the digging she says, 'let's get a nice big shop built'.

So we did and now I get to dig for another waterline, but only 15 feet and now the clay is nice and sofr from the rain.

But, that's o.k., I don't mind a bit. :)

PChristy

New User
Phillip
:rotflm:
Okay, probably not what you were thinking. Me and the boy were taking a break and I thought I would post a picture of today's project. We were trenching to run power out to one of my latest WW projects: a 12' x 15' storage shed. Now I can get all the lawn mowers, bicycles, and other non-WWing stuff out of my shop. :icon_thum

Alright, the boy says it's time to go back to work. Gotta' go....
J

I agree that this is a pretty big mortise and it was a great task that you acomplished but how in the world did you get your boy to say "it is time to go back to work"? Please tell us how --please please please - I have to hunt my boy down to get him back to work - :help::help::help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS