Hal Taylor Rocking chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Doug Robinson and I have been "semi" working on building a pair of Hal Taylor style rocking chairs. I say "semi" as we have been VERY slow, and haven't done much to them in QUITE a while. They are challenging, and following Hal's plans are at times a challenge.

All in all, it hasn't been too bad. The big learning/realization we have had I would suggest (Doug feel free to comment) is that Hal's plans are laid out for the tools he has and the work methods he is accustomed. For example, he ripped all his strips for the glue ups of his rocker very meticulously on the tablesaw and then glued them. We did no such thing. We ripped them haphazardly on the bandsaw and then used the wide belt sander to get them to thickness. That is one example of having better tooling, but to the contrary, if you don't have a certain machine or tool, there are other ways to accomplish it.

Still, I figure I will post some work in progress pics. Hopefully, it will get the two of us motivated on this as we are supposed to spend time working on them next week.

I will add pics and commentary, but here is the first.

Doug cutting the notches out on the seat. We used the bandsaw to do this. I don't remember what Hal used.

Doug_bandsaw_seat.JPG

Doug_cutting_seat.JPG

You drill holes in different places at different depths to tell you how far to grind/carve the seat to better fit the posterior.

rocker_seat_holes.JPG

Sanding and grinding the seat is MESSY. I have since moved to a gooseneck scraper and found it works VERY well. Still, I haven't finished the seat.

rocker_doug_grinding.JPG

Doug_Sanding_seat.JPG

Last for this post, a bad spot that I routed out and had to glue a filler strip in. More to come.

Gluing_in_a_filler_strip.JPG

Thanks for looking.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Rockers and back braces

We made forms for the rockers and back braces from rough cut 8/4 pine that I had. We added some angle aluminum pieces to be able to pull the strips up evenly. All in all, this went very well.

Wax paper is your friend.

rocker_form.JPG

rocker_glue_up_1.JPG

rocker_back_glue_up.JPG

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
lookin good guys!:icon_thum however [there is always a however aint there] I only see Doug working!:rotflm: wazzup wit dat?:gar-La;

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Glad to see you guys are still pluggin away, your gonna finish this weekend right?:gar-Bi
Let me know if ya'll need anything, can't wait to see more progress pics. Also, Taylor's got some video up on his site of some of the more difficult operations, part of his plan to get you to buy his new video. What type of glue you using for your lams?

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
lookin good guys!:icon_thum however [there is always a however aint there] I only see Doug working!:rotflm: wazzup wit dat?:gar-La;

I couldn't get Doug to use the camera...... Figures....

Glad to see you guys are still pluggin away, your gonna finish this weekend right?:gar-Bi

Let me know if ya'll need anything, can't wait to see more progress pics. Also, Taylor's got some video up on his site of some of the more difficult operations, part of his plan to get you to buy his new video. What type of glue you using for your lams?

Right. Finish this weekend... That would be something. Good to know about the videos, I will check those out. As for glue, we used Titebond. Didn't really think much about it to be honest. We have all of the back braces and rockers glued up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS