Grrr-Ripper Fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
I received the following reply from Micro Jig today. Guess we'll have to see if this works! :dontknow:

Hi Reggie,

Thank you for your support in our product - the GRR-Ripper® 3D Pushblock™ System. We are sorry that the Center Leg is being tight to adjust, this may cause by the contacting surfaces between the top edges of the Center Leg and the edges of the Main Body. There is a simple solution to this, please see the attached PDF slide and follow the simples steps shown and it should resolve this problem. Please forward this message to other NCWW members who have similar issue or have them to contact us.

Please do let us know if this does not solve the binding problem you may have. Again, we apologize the inconvenience may have caused.

Happy Woodworking!
Henry & Micro Jig
Your Micro Jig Support Team

OK, since I can't get the pdf to load, it's basically 4 slides that show using a utility knife to scrape 10,0000/inch from the rails of the center leg that contact the body. Then apply paraffin wax to the center leg and the body rail surfaces. If that doesn't work, scrape some more.

Do NOT use spray lubricant!

They say it should take two hands to adjust the center leg! :eusa_thin

Not what I was hoping for, but I'll give it a shot. (And by that I wasn't necessarily hoping for a replacement, but thought there might be a more plausible solution. In my mind, this constitutes a fine machining problem. What do YOU think? :icon_scra

If any of you who are having problems want to see the pdf slides, PM me your e mail and I'll forward the message to you.:wsmile:

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I shake a little baby powder on mine when it gets balky. Back when you could actually find TALCUM powder, woodworkers used it as a favorite dry lube. Trunnions, joiner ways and handscrews etc.

richlife

New User
Rich
I'm sorry, but maybe you guys need to help me here. Just how is this supposed to be a quality product? If you have to "scrape off" plastic, then there are two problems -- "scrape off" and plastic. And two hours to get it right!!?? And so what happens if an impatient person scrapes off too much?

The paraffin instructions sound like basic maintenance to me and should have been included as such in the original instructions. Were they? Same for the instruction not to use a spray lubricant. (On the latter, I would think that there is at least some potential for the "lubricant" to be a solvent.)

Anyway, I appreciate the post and will remove this tool from my Wishlist. I think I'd rather build the clone posted here: http://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39727

Rich

Tarhead

Mark
Corporate Member
Rich this is a fix to correct a problem with limited run of these made a few years ago that were too stiff to adjust easily. I got one and it took 2 hands and a lot of force, especially if you get it cockeyed, before this 2 minute fix. The center leg needs to be fairly stiff to prevent it shifting during handling and maintain its position. Some folks may want less stiffness if they have had a visit from Mr. Arthur Itis or are just pitiful like Reggie:gar-La;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS