Groups Function Expalnation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
It was suggested that the Groups function would be an ideal place for the Picnic Committee to discuss planning of the upcoming event. I cannot, however, seem to grasp the operational aspects of this feature. Would an Admin please post to the site a 'how to' for the groups function so we may understand more fully how to utilize this new feature? I'm afraid the people in my Committee may not know how, or I may not have given them specific permissions on how to post and discuss there.

ehpoole

Ethan
Unfortunately, I think Steve is the only one with a sound operational knowledge of the Groups feature. You already have more experience with Groups than I (or most of the rest of us). I know Steve has written some prior posts on this topic in (I believe) the Moderator's forum which may be worth rereading, especially if you missed them. I believe he also covered the method by which interested parties can elect to subscribe to a group at which point the designated Group Admin must then either approve or reject their subscription request.

My basic operational knowledge of their function is that groups are meant to be a mini-forum that, while viewable by all members, only select-invited members may actively participate (comment) in. The purpose being to facilitate the coordination of various functions, club memberships, local get-togethers, etc. Namely, topics that are of typically very narrow regional relevance (e.g. a lunch group) or the coordination of very specific tasks (such as the upcoming picnic).

It could be awhile before a real How-to is written. Steve and I have both been working much greater than full-time hours pretty much everyday since January, so we are both getting a little burned out at this stage (Steve probably even moreso than I) and there is still a rather overwhelming amount of work to be done on this site. I don't think either one of us have spent more than a few hours, total, in our shops since the upgrade.

I mention the above so that everyone understands if some requests take awhile to fulfill.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm getting a little better feel for it now. I notice that a separate tab drops down on the Notifications section when an item has been posted to a subscribed Group. Not sure, though, how the rest of the members get to see it unless they are looking for the Group.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm getting a little better feel for it now. I notice that a separate tab drops down on the Notifications section when an item has been posted to a subscribed Group. Not sure, though, how the rest of the members get to see it unless they are looking for the Group.

Under the What's New Tab there is a New Group Messages. It does the same thing for groups that the basic what's new does for regular posts

cskipper

Cathy
It would be helpful if, when posting a response in a group, we could see the other posts. Sometimes I forget what all I wanted to reference in my response. Old age is not nice - :eek:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I find it interesting that I can see and post to the picnic committee group but I am not listed as one of the group members. Is this because I am a moderator or is there something I am not seeing?

toolman

New User
Chad
I find it interesting that I can see and post to the picnic committee group but I am not listed as one of the group members. Is this because I am a moderator or is there something I am not seeing?

Mods and Admins Can see the post in groups and you also can delete as well..

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Right now every can see everything. Mods and admins can also post and delete as part of their moderator function. This can be changed to what we want. BTW, if you are acting as a member of the group, then please join. So people will better understand what capacity you are interacting

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I invited Scott after seeing the aforementioned post above. He is officially one of us. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS