Grizzly Hybrid Go715 Table saw

Status
Not open for further replies.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
Does anyone out there have this saw.....If so please give me your opinion...smaller motor than G0690 but its 500 bucks cheaper:eusa_thin

M

McRabbet

Dirk,

I don't have the new hybrid saw, but I do have the G1023SLX (10" cabinet saw) with a 3 HP motor and I love it. I visited the Grizzly store in Muncy, PA in August and looked at all of the new "Polar Bear" line and to be honest, I was not impressed. I know the older models are more expensive, but they are also much better. I would recommend the G1023RL or G1023RLW before buying the hybrid.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
The G0715P is pretty new, and I haven't see a magazine review yet. There have been a few reviews on the web that indicate it's a good saw (Lumberjocks, WoodNet). That's not surprising, pretty much all the hybrid saws (cabinet style but < 3 HP) perform well. I have the JET ProShop and like it a lot, and there are several fans here of the Craftsman 22124. The recent test Fine Woodworking did found a winner (Woodtek) but no losers. I saw the predecessor of the Polar Bear Saw (GO478) at the Grizzly showroom when I saw there last year and it looked very solid. The G0715P appears to be very similar, and has a riving knife.

The G0715P runs on 110V, but requires a dedicated 20A outlet. If you don't have 220V available, the G0715P is a pretty good option. If you do have 220V, or would need to run a new circuit anyway...then strongly consider getting the next model up. 2HP is fine for ripping plywood, 3/4" etc., but when I process thicker stock, that's when I wish my saw had just a little extra oomph. Both the G0690 and G1023R are very competitively priced, and when you consider the cost of freight, mobile base, power cord/ plug etc. then the cost difference becomes smaller and smaller. Now, I'm generally a big fan of "upgrading-as-you-go" vs. "buy the last tool you'll ever need", but with the table saw, I'll make an exception. Why? Well, for one, it's heavy, and you don't want to mess with heavy equipment any more than you have to. But most importantly, if you do decide you want something more powerful in the future, it means replacing your Zero Clearance Inserts, crosscut sled, tapering jig, miter sled, outfeed table etc. etc. That's borderline traumatic. In fact, the only reason I bought the ProShop was because two years ago, the only saws with a riving knife were the PM2000 ($2500) and Sawstop ($4000). Had the G1023R or G0690 been available, I would have gone straight for the bigger machine.

So, in short, I think it's a good saw, but if you can spare the extra cash, going for the 3HP means you're not likely to feel the need to upgrade for a loooooong time.

hockey1

New User
Jesse
I can't speak of their current hybrid saw, however I do have their original hybrid saw. With a sharp thin kerf blade I can run the blade all of the way up and rip a piece of solid oak taller than the blade at a medium feed rate without bogging down the motor on a 115 vac circuit. This machine has plenty of power for my needs. I have had some friends come over in the past and when they saw me run the saw they told me that they wished thier saws would cut as fast as mine did.

Dust collection is not good with my 1hp dust collector. Although I have made a few modifications to assist with collection this machine just needs more CFM to properly remove dust.

When using my dado set at 3/4" the arbor is a little short, with all of the blades, chippers, washer, and nut installed, the nut over hangs the arbor by a little (not all of the threads of the nut are engaged to the arbor). It works but I just don't have that warm and fuzzy feeling like I would if I had some threads showing on the backside of the nut.

Now lets turn to the cast iron, the main table of the saw has a chamfer on the leading edge but my extension wings do not have any chamfer at all. So I must ensure when setting large sheets on the saw that the material does not come into contact with that exposed corner where the table and extension meet. It looks as though from the photos on the grizzly website that they addressed this but I would call to make sure.

All in all as a heavy duty home hobbiest even with some of the faults I am extremely happy with my hybrid saw and would suggest one to anyone who needs heavy dutyish saw.

Hope this helps

petebucy4638

Pete
Corporate Member
The G0715P is pretty new, and I haven't see a magazine review yet. There have been a few reviews on the web that indicate it's a good saw (Lumberjocks, WoodNet). That's not surprising, pretty much all the hybrid saws (cabinet style but < 3 HP) perform well. I have the JET ProShop and like it a lot, and there are several fans here of the Craftsman 22124. The recent test Fine Woodworking did found a winner (Woodtek) but no losers. I saw the predecessor of the Polar Bear Saw (GO478) at the Grizzly showroom when I saw there last year and it looked very solid. The G0715P appears to be very similar, and has a riving knife.

The G0715P runs on 110V, but requires a dedicated 20A outlet. If you don't have 220V available, the G0715P is a pretty good option. If you do have 220V, or would need to run a new circuit anyway...then strongly consider getting the next model up. 2HP is fine for ripping plywood, 3/4" etc., but when I process thicker stock, that's when I wish my saw had just a little extra oomph. Both the G0690 and G1023R are very competitively priced, and when you consider the cost of freight, mobile base, power cord/ plug etc. then the cost difference becomes smaller and smaller. Now, I'm generally a big fan of "upgrading-as-you-go" vs. "buy the last tool you'll ever need", but with the table saw, I'll make an exception. Why? Well, for one, it's heavy, and you don't want to mess with heavy equipment any more than you have to. But most importantly, if you do decide you want something more powerful in the future, it means replacing your Zero Clearance Inserts, crosscut sled, tapering jig, miter sled, outfeed table etc. etc. That's borderline traumatic. In fact, the only reason I bought the ProShop was because two years ago, the only saws with a riving knife were the PM2000 ($2500) and Sawstop ($4000). Had the G1023R or G0690 been available, I would have gone straight for the bigger machine.

So, in short, I think it's a good saw, but if you can spare the extra cash, going for the 3HP means you're not likely to feel the need to upgrade for a loooooong time.

I agree about the HP 100%. As a builder I used to buy table saws for job sites with 2 hp motors because that is how the came from the factory. It wasn't until we had to replace a motor on one of them and could only get a 3 HP motor on short notice that I discovered how much that additional HP turns into productivity when ripping hardwoods.

While some may disagree, I think that having a saw with enough power to easily cut without bogging down is a safety factor too. Saws that don't have the power to make the cut without slowing down or stalling are more likely to cause you to have to leave a safe cutting position to fiddle with the saw or reposition the board that you are trying to cut.

The Grizzly cabinet saw that I ordered last year has a 5 HP motor. It works great and bogging down is not an issue.

Pete

eyekode

New User
Salem
Nice lookin' saw with a 600$ router combination in the wing! But I would still hold out for a saw with a riving knife. If you rip hardwoods it is great to have some insurance against the cut closing and binding on the blade.
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors