Greetings from a Puzzlemaker in Raleigh

Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Since I believe the translation of the inscription means "in plain site", I believe the magnets are the true clue. To open this box top, I'm guessing that you hold the box vertically (top up) in line`with the axis of your arm and then you twist your wrist rapidly to move the magnets away from their N-S attraction. Momentum of the "twist" opens the latch mechanism. Am I close?

Well, you got the solution right but not the mechanism :)

The magnets are there to provide force for the top to lift once the latches are disengaged. When you twist the box as you described, the top pops up about 1/4"...the magnets are offset for that reason. The mechanism works with either momentum or inertia depending on if you are right or left handed. Right handed people twist the box clockwise, and the inertia of the crossbar disengages the latches. Left handed people turn it counterclockwise, and since the mechanism is uni-directional, the momentum of the crossbar does the trick. So you could say that right handed people will open the box faster than left handed (by about .0001 of a second) :D

Badabing

New User
Joe
Welcome Eric! Your work is truly amazing!!! Thank you for posting the pictures and a solution too :icon_thum I am totally enthralled by that mechanism. I'd love to learn more about your work and hope you consider posting some tutorials and some 'how to' information.

If you ever consider teaching some classes in puzzlemaking, I would definitely make the trip to Raleigh to take them!

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
Most impressive! :icon_thum

"In plain sight" - hmm... Is the hole at the side of the top a peep hole? Is there a reason for the mechanism being see through?

There is always this solution: :frown3qg::qright5:

:rotflm:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
I AM PUZZLED. :wconfused: Eric welcome to NCWW. This board is the next best thing to being in the shop. They are a great bunch.

Ranger Dailey

New User
ranger
Welcome to the site. I enjoy those types of puzzles and have admired the craftsmanship. I would also be interested in a beginners tutorial.

Will Goodwin

New User
Will Goodwin
Welcome Eric! Those puzzles are very interesting. Please continue to share. Please feel free to share your botched attempts if there were any. Reassures us that you are human.

:rotflm:

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Cool stuff Eric! Welcome to the site. I have enjoyed learning a little about puzzle making from your links. Very fascinating.

cubicdissection

New User
Eric
Hi Dutch,

Thanks! If you're interested in the craft, check out the contest I have posted in the Members Announcements forum. Some decent prizes up for grabs.

Oh, spreekt U Nederlands?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS